Microsoft Azure API Management Review

It offers API gateway features and AD integration. An IaaS option should also be offered.

Valuable Features

• API gateway features
  • AD integration
  • Access management capabilities
  • Usage plans
  • Quotas for APIs, etc.

Improvements to My Organization

It is a simple and effective way to enable micro-services architecture. The Standard Tier is cost effective.

Room for Improvement

• An IaaS option is needed. The SaaS option limited our requirement, as we wanted more control on our data, and integration with our virtual LAN. Integration with our VLAN was possible only with the premium version and expensive gateway controllers.
  • PCI compliance

Use of Solution

I evaluated it for one month.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is 7/10.

I did not previously use a different solution. However, I evaluated other API gateways and shortlisted ForgeRock - OpenAM/OpenIG, because it has an IaaS option.

Initial setup was fairly straightforward; excellent documentation.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The Standard Tier is cost effective.

Other Solutions Considered

Before choosing this product, I evaluated NGINX, Apigee, and ForgeRock (OpenAM/OpenIG).

Other Advice

Code impact: Required services to import Swagger library.

Being SaaS, if you are running services on IaaS, communication between APIM and your services will be through the public internet (if that’s a cause of concern).

APIM was available in classic mode only (as of April 2016). Our infrastructure was ARM. Connectivity was complex and expensive.