Microsoft Azure API Management Review

It offers API gateway features and AD integration. An IaaS option should also be offered.

What is most valuable?

• API gateway features
  • AD integration
  • Access management capabilities
  • Usage plans
  • Quotas for APIs, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a simple and effective way to enable micro-services architecture. The Standard Tier is cost effective.

What needs improvement?

• An IaaS option is needed. The SaaS option limited our requirement, as we wanted more control on our data, and integration with our virtual LAN. Integration with our VLAN was possible only with the premium version and expensive gateway controllers.
  • PCI compliance

I evaluated it for one month.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is 7/10.

I did not previously use a different solution. However, I evaluated other API gateways and shortlisted ForgeRock - OpenAM/OpenIG, because it has an IaaS option.

Initial setup was fairly straightforward; excellent documentation.

The Standard Tier is cost effective.

Before choosing this product, I evaluated NGINX, Apigee, and ForgeRock (OpenAM/OpenIG).

What other advice do I have?

Code impact: Required services to import Swagger library.

Being SaaS, if you are running services on IaaS, communication between APIM and your services will be through the public internet (if that’s a cause of concern).

APIM was available in classic mode only (as of April 2016). Our infrastructure was ARM. Connectivity was complex and expensive.

More Microsoft Azure API Management reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Apigee
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure API Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.