Microsoft Azure API Management Review

Excellent for easy integration with the entire Microsoft system

What is our primary use case?

We use the product for managing APIs - for internal as well as for external communication.

Furthermore we enable transparency, governance and re-use.

How has it helped my organization?

- Being a PaaS component it helped reducing maintance efforts
- Homogenous solution for information exchange between internal and external stakeholders

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature would be the easy integration into the entire Microsoft environment, like Access Directory, the collaboration tooling, the development tooling, basically the integration into the Microsoft universe.

What needs improvement?

Multi-tenant functionalities is missing from the system, especially when it comes to purpose specific requirements such as CI, branding, language, content structure. If you're aware of the details of API Management provided by Azure, there are two areas. One is for developers, and the other is for consumers. In order to support the best, or all the different use cases we have, the multi-tenant support would be appreciated.

I've been using the product for about three years.

The product is stable, it's good. It depends a little bit on the tier, on the different settings, and different customizations that are possible. But in general, it's a stable solution.

Technical support to a certain extent is good, it's available in the internet, if you wish. The moment you need to reach out for serious technical support in terms of incidents, or on-site support, or whatever, it becomes a little more challenging.

The initial setup for us was easy. It helps that we have Azure knowledge within the company.

Understand the different Tiers (from small to large including VNet-integrated express route)

Start small and be aware that the developer version has all features enabled which also requires the highest possible Tier.

What other advice do I have?

Approach API Management in the two areas "tooling" and "governance".

Tooling required end-to-end thinking from a developer, consumer and infrastructure perspective. For each multiple examples can be shared.

For governance start with the obvious fitting to your organization. Do not follow all recommendations from the start, hence expect an iterative approach.

I would recommend this product and would rate it an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud