Microsoft Azure API Management Review

Has multifactor authentication and good integration with Active Directory for better security features

What is most valuable?

The integration with Azure Active Directory is a good security feature for authentication and authorization. There is multifactor authentication. You can also use all of the Azure AD features integrated with API Management.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement. There should be more analytics abilities so you can know how much traffic there is. Log Analyzer isn't well integrated with this solution.

I have been using this solution for two to three years.

It's on the cloud, we don't have any hiccups or problems with the stability.

The technical support is pretty good. Sometimes it's slow. It depends on each case. Sometimes they need to engage with the US and there's a big time difference between there and Australia so it takes longer.

Our public APIs are mostly in Axway. B2C APIs are a combination of Azure and AWS. Cost is a big difference. Axway offers two solutions. One on-prem and the other option is cloud. It's not a SAS solution, they host us in AWS but we can push the costs for version upgrades. It's much more expensive than Azure or AWS.

You have to read about how to do it four or five times and then you can implement it. It's a publicly accessible API so it needs a security layer and then you can secure it. Otherwise, anybody can access it. You need proper controls, authentication, and authorization. You need to sort this out first.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend doing a combination of AWS API Gateway and Azure API Management. You can authenticate APIs in Azure Active Directory and from there you expose all of your serverless components and use them as a backend with Azure. But it depends on what your use case is. It can be used as a combination or as a standalone.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

To make it a ten, there should be better analytics features so we can know how our product is performing.

More Microsoft Azure API Management reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Apigee
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure API Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.