Microsoft Azure App Service Review

Still familiarizing ourselves, but the data factory tool has proved to be most beneficial

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of the solution is for ETL. We're slowly moving everything over to Azure, so I think this will be our expected hub for the near future. I'm the chief analytics officer and we are a Microsoft partner.

What is most valuable?

The Azure data factory is the tool we're using the most. And again, we're using it for moving data around and data management. For now, we're pretty happy with the product although we're probably using it in a slightly more limited way. All the tasks we've done would have some reasonable degree of complexity and we've been able to achieve those tasks, or complete those processes. We're still getting familiar with it.

What needs improvement?

There has been some building of pipelines where we've had to test and redesign a little so if there were maybe some easier to setup guides or more template data flows that would be an improvement. It would simplify the center processes. It would probably be impossible to have a template for everyone, but maybe there's some way to kind of simplify the initial stack and point frame for new users like ourselves, to make getting off the ground a little bit easier.

I've been using the solution for almost a year.

The solution is stable. We don't have very large data volumes and we haven't yet migrated high data processing power onto the cloud.

We haven't been attempting to push the boundaries in scalability. It's probably something we will gradually get to, maybe over the next six to 12 months where we will be migrating some additional processes and workload onto the cloud that we may start to see if scalability becomes an issue.

We haven't yet needed to contact technical support.

The initial setup was reasonably straightforward. We've kind of been taking slow steps and migrating requirements as we gradually move certain tasks or certain processes into the cloud. We've done all the deployment ourselves.

I think at the moment we're spending less than USD $100 a month. Because we're a Microsoft partner, we get a certain amount of credit on our partner account, but I don't think we've spent more than about $100, maybe $200 in a single month.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product. I would suggest giving yourself time to learn and adapt to the product. A lot of people would probably come to it having some historic or some existing software product in place and they're maybe migrating onto it. And so it will likely involve changing or redesigning how some existing process works. It's a good time to kind of learn some of the intricacies or the way Azure operates that might be slightly different to what they do on-premise. Ultimately it seems like it can do anything that you might be doing with a different tool or in a different location. It's just a matter of figuring out the configurations and the process.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

More Microsoft Azure App Service reviews from users
...who compared it with Microsoft PowerApps
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure App Service. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.