Microsoft Azure App Service Review

It saves us time and money and installation is really easy

What is our primary use case?

We wanted to build a web application, so we started exploring whether we should do it on-premise or on cloud. We already had an Azure subscription and then we decided to do it on Azure. I like the solution because if you want to do something, even if it is a simple proof of concept, you can use a daily subscription. You can do it within minutes and it makes things move a lot faster compared to traditional data center models.

How has it helped my organization?

With this solution, it takes less time to deploy something. So in terms of timelines and user satisfaction, the users are happy.

What is most valuable?

I like that you can see everything once you log on to the portals. You can see everything including the pricing of the solution. You know how much it's going to cost your client, how much it is going to cost you monthly or daily and you can even control the usage so that you pay even less. So you have better control over things.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see faster adoption and maybe they can give you some templates, so that we can deploy something and then modify the template. For instance, having templates for creating a website will make things faster and easier.

I have been using the solution for three months now.

The program is stable and we've had no technical issues so far.

The program is very scalable and we plan to scale to 600 or 700 users.

We've tried many other options but the problem is we are using a product from a vendor and ideally, this functionality should be made available in that product. But we're using Azure App Service and then give users a temporary solution because we don't want to change the product that they are using because their mobile devices are very old. It's going to be a waste of money when they will any replace it in a year's time. It is more expensive to upgrade that product than developing something cheap on Azure App Service.

The initial setup is very straightforward. Deployment is fast if you just want to create a roadmap and the database, but that is if you know what you're doing. If the deployment is too complex, you might want to use an expert to help you. I'm not familiar with the technology and I haven't done web development myself. But I just followed some articles and then did everything myself. So it's not difficult at all. You can also go to Azure's web portal and follow their instructions.

Azure doesn't cost as much as other services. If you want to create something, you can create it all on Azure, simple and quick. If you have to do it on-premise, you have to follow some steps. And you have to pay for providing virtual machines and buy licenses for all the products you are going to use, like Windows or SQL. But on Azure, you can use a trial account so that you can see how it works, or you can use your day subscription, which is a lot cheaper.

We didn't try many other options because we already had an Azure subscription. So it was a very easy decision to make and we didn't explore other options. Our version is a little bit outdated, so we plan on upgrading soon. The next version has all the functionality we are looking for. Our main concern is speed, and that is one of the features we like about Azure.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to occupy the use cases from businesses to see if this works for you. It is really easy. I give this solution a nine out of ten. In the future, I would like to have a template for development, though.

More Microsoft Azure App Service reviews from users
...who compared it with Microsoft PowerApps
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure App Service. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,015 professionals have used our research since 2012.