Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB Review

Has good scaling abilities and good automatic performance

What is our primary use case?

We have a lot of use cases like for the web API backend where we have most of the processing jobs. It supports mobile, browser, and tablet. We have a single face application that interacts with the users and customers. It's backend and frontend architecture. For middleware, we use Kafka integration. We have PowerBI for reporting.

What is most valuable?

I like the scalability. There aren't any constraints for posting in the geolocation. I also like the SQL architecture.

What needs improvement?

The query is a little complex. SQL server should have more options. But the query should be better.

The setup takes a bit of time but once it's done, it goes well. Backend developers need a bit of time to do the setup.

I have been using DocumentDB for a little over a year. You can use the libraries that are available in the framework and connect to DocumentDB for your operation.

It is stable but since we have multiple locations, if one point goes down, we can access another location easily. Most of the effort goes into the script and we use keywords to secure the accessibility and then we set up the encryption. Configuration takes time. We do it without self-script. If you do it manually, it is quite difficult but script does it in a better manner.

We use our own documentation as our resource. Azure doesn't have many problems that we need to contact support except for developers who struggle to learn about SQL. They need training and to read up on the literature.

We are satisfied with their support.

It takes time to set up and understand. Since Azure has its own table, it's not so flexible.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing, know now how to use DocumentDB. Understand your use case. From an architecture perspective, we have a use case where we wanted to use more SQ and we used DocumentDB as the first consideration. There isn't a better SQL than DocumentDB available. Cloud provides this type of platform.

The automatic performance is also very good. We did research on the internet and decided to go with DocumentDB.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. Not a ten because there is what to be done for improvement. In the future, it should be simplified for developers so that it's not a hassle for them. There aren't many resources for SQL and DocumentDB. It may take time for more documentation to come out.