Microsoft Azure DevOps Review

A user-friendly and intuitive interface, but it lacks integration with other products and tools

What is our primary use case?

We are currently involved in a financing exchange project, and we use this solution to keep track of the exchange activities within the backlog. We are not taking advantage of the repository and the code stuff at this stage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us at this stage is the Azure Boards.

I really like the user interface. For comparison, I have been using JIRA for several years now, and I am rather skilled at using that tool. The reason for my using Azure DevOps is because my client uses it. My first impression of DevOps, after using JIRA, is that it has a much better, more intuitive, and more user-friendly interface. That first impression is still valid, today.

What needs improvement?

There is a lack of integration and portability with other tools and products.

I would like to see better interoperability with the agile scaling frameworks.

When I first started using Azure it was impossible to figure out how to do the configuration correctly. Perhaps there should be a configuration environment that hides some features and is not open for everyone.

I find it difficult to find some of the features, although it may be that they are not enabled, or perhaps I have to take some time to better understand the tool.

Four months.

I cannot really comment on the scalability of this solution. We are running in a microenvironment with only a few users and a few integrations. It is enough for us at the moment, but if we want to go forward and continue to work with it then that will be a discussion for later.

We have approximately fifty users right now. There are three or four administrators, and the remainder of them are end-users.

I have not contacted technical support. Coincidentally, I needed support today, so I went online to find the answer. The toolkit for helping yourself is there, but perhaps it should be more integrated into the solution.

I have used JIRA for several years, and although I am impressed with the interface in Azure DevOps, JIRA still has better integration with other tools.

The initial setup for this solution is much easier than for that of JIRA.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anyone implementing this solution is to have an expert for every fifty users of the solution. This person is responsible for configurations and so forth.

If you have a Microsoft environment then this is an easy choice for you, but if you don't then I think that JIRA would be a better choice.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.