Microsoft Azure Key Vault Review

Easy to set up and the technical support is awesome

What is our primary use case?

I am a system architect and this is one of the products that I work with when designing systems for our customers. This key vault allows you to store passwords and secret keys so that you can retrieve them when needed. Each customer will have their own secret password that can be used in a cloud-based scenario to retrieve their login usernames, passwords, and other secrets.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you can retrieve user account details from the cloud.

What needs improvement?

Azure needs to provide versions of Key Vault that are suitable for different sizes of companies. For example, we are not a big corporation that can afford corporate-level pricing. We have to strike a balance between the number of users and the volume of keys that are being used.

I have been using the Microsoft Azure Key Vault for close to two years.

This is a stable product and I haven't had any issues. The performance decreases as many keys are added to the vault. For example, it will be slow if we have 1,000 users.

Scalability is related to the licensing plan. At some point, the number of keys that can be stored will run out until the vault plan is upgraded.

The product support is awesome and I don't have any issues with it.

Azure is the first key vault that we have used.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is not complex, although it takes weeks to implement because we have to integrate with other modules.

Our in-house team handles deployment.

The cost of the Azure Key Vault is very high and the pricing model is based on the number of keys that you store and retrieve. It is billed in blocks, such as 1,000 passwords that I can store. However, if I am paying to store information for 1,000 users then the pricing is not discounted if I only need to store 500.

I am currently evaluating HashiCorp Vault because it is more economical than Azure Key Vault.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and one that I recommend.

Microsoft Azure