Microsoft Azure Object Storage Review

Good metadata analysis and quite stable but there are performance issues with Azure Table storage

What is our primary use case?

Our architects are using it, mostly. We primarily use the solution for Docker containers that we host our Jira and Confluence on. We use the solution for storage, including File, Table, and Block. We have about 20 terabytes of storage. We also do some reporting.

What is most valuable?

The metadata that the solution provides is quite valuable for us. If we need to analyze the latest data from a particular department or particular user, we can simply query through the metadata we store in Azure Object Storage and simply fetch those records which are maybe one day or one month old. this metadata storage is really handy for us.

What needs improvement?

We've seen some performance issues with Azure Table storage. It's quite slow. The performance surrounding it should be improved to speed things up a bit.

Moving data from cold storage to the hot storage, or, to put it another way, moving data back and forth between regular storage and archival storage is difficult. There's no easy way to do it. In the past, we've been required to download the data and then upload it to cold storage. It's an annoying process. If the solution could fix this it would be much better.

I believe I have been using the solution for four years.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't had any issues with it.

We have people who use the solution on a daily basis in our organization. There are about 50 or more users.

It's quite easy to scale the solution as needed.

Technical support has been good. Whenever we've raised requests they've been dealt with promptly. We're satisfied with the level of support given to us.

We didn't previously use another solution before implementing Object Storage. Previously we had everything in-house. Now everything is on the public cloud.

The initial setup for the solution is straightforward. It's simple, in fact. It's not complex at all. Deployment is fast and easy too. It only takes about 20 minutes.

In our company, the maintenance of the solution is outsourced. We have a team of four outside the organization that handles it for us. They're like a support team and handle everything 24/7.

The implementation was handled completely in-house. We have Azure certified architects in my organization and we simply raise the request for the types of storage we want, what sort of machine we want and I handle the approvals.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we are currently using.

In terms of if other organizations should use the solution, I'd say that the question is, do they understand what they prefer. They need to understand the data they want to store and if they will need regular access to it. If they need the data to be easily accessible daily, they need to go for a Hot Tier. If they feel like they would be better off archiving, they need to look for a Cold Tier. The difference between the two is huge.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
More Microsoft Azure Object Storage reviews from users
...who compared it with Oracle Cloud Object Storage
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Amazon, Oracle and others in Public Cloud Storage Services. Updated: May 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.