Microsoft Azure Review

Much easier than AWS to set up, change, and configure VMs.

What is our primary use case?

• IoT with C# and .NET Core 2.1.
  • Raspberry Pi with Raspbian OS.
  • Docker containers
  • For use in security applications in the retail sector
  • Using RabbitMQ for message queueing between the internet of things and the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

I compare it to AWS that I used prior to this. I find it much more intuitive, more visual, more obvious where things are and how to change their configurations, etc.

What is most valuable?

• Being able to set up, change and configure VMs is easy - a lot easier than in AWS
  • Feedback and error messages make much more sense in Azure than in AWS.

What needs improvement?

I get the impression there are a number of services offered by AWS that are not yet available on Azure, but it seems to be catching up pretty fast.

Less than one year.

It seems to me that Azure is a little less stable than AWS but not so that it makes a difference, given how much time you save doing other stuff like configuring, etc.

Very easy to scale in and out but has unpredictable costing as a result. However, AWS is the same.

I do not use tech support. I use online forums, etc.

AWS. I started a new job.

No, it is simpler in Azure than in AWS.

In-house.

Pricing is the worst aspect of both AWS and Azure. It is very difficult to predict costs in my experience. There is often a base price (for running a VM for example), but then you have to pay for data storage costs plus data transmission costs, etc. I would prefer to have a predictable monthly cost for unlimited storage within a bandwidth for example, but there isn't an easy way to predict costs.

I evaluated Google Cloud too and compared AWS with Azure. Azure is definitely the best for me; I am more productive because I understand the tech architecture better.

What other advice do I have?

If you are a C#, .NET or SQL server person, do not even think about using AWS, use Azure instead. If you are more of a Linux/PHP/Java type of person, you may consider AWS as it works much better from the command line and much more like a Linux or Java environment.