Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse Review

Easy administration, cost-effective, and scales to any requirement

What is our primary use case?

We are a software development company and this is one of the solutions that we recommend to our clients. The applications that we develop make use of this technology.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Azure SQL Data Warehouse means that you don't have to worry about big servers.

What is most valuable?

The best part is the easy and user-friendly administration and handling of the data.

What needs improvement?

The configuration for things like high-availability could be more user-friendly for non-technical users.

We have been using Azure SQL Data Warehouse for almost twelve years.

This is a stable solution with no issues.

Scalability is the best part of going with a cloud-based solution. I don't have to worry about server space. Azure elasticity allows us to scale as much as we want, and it is pay-as-you-go, so we can scale up as we need to. What we propose to the people who are implementing this solution is to start with the minimum requirements and then scale up based on demand.

We have not seen any problems with technical support. We have Microsoft certification, so we very rarely contact them for any help. Normally, we handle the support for our clients.

The initial setup is straightforward. The requirements are very clear, and there is not much of a problem when you're doing it.

One of the recent upgrades we have done that included high-availability, loading the data, and setting everything up, took about a month and a half.

The licensing fees for this solution are on a pay-per-use basis, and not very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

The core strength of Microsoft technologies is ease of use and administration, regardless of the type of product.

This is a good solution to go with, the cost is reasonable, and I recommend it.