Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics Review

Good documentation and does not incur costs when not in use, but needs support for query caching

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting agency and the Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse is what we use for general BI reporting and visualization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you can suspend the computer if it is not being used, which means that you don't incur costs. This is better than Amazon Redshift, where the costs continue to accumulate.

The documentation is good.

What needs improvement?

This solution needs to have query caching so that if the same query is run and the results are available, it will return the data from the cache without having to re-run the query. As it is now, you still have to use compute for each query.

We would like to have integration with the data lake so that we can avoid retrieving the data from it, just to store it in Synapse before we can use it. From an architectural perspective, avoiding this replication would be good.

I have been using this product for about one year.

Stability-wise, this is a good product.

This solution is scalable, although I don't expect that we will expand it beyond the current usage.

We have not had to reach out to support. Rather, we have relied on the documentation. It is easy to solve your own problems.

I also have experience with using Snowflake. It has the option to cache query results, which is helpful.

Amazon Redshift is another similar solution that I have experience with, although it lacks the ability to suspend the computer to save costs when it is not being used.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

The Azure SQL Data Warehouse has been renamed to Synapse, although not all of the features have been implemented yet. I am looking forward to a more mature version of this product in the future.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure