Microsoft BI Review

Despite vague error messages, some functions were cut down from 90 seconds to about less than one second

What is most valuable?

• SQL Server Integration Services
  • SQL Server Management Studio

How has it helped my organization?

There have been occasions when a certain application would work very slowly on other DB platforms and once we migrated to SQL Server the response times improved dramatically. For example, I recently migrated an application from TeraData to SQL Server and the response times for some functions were cut down from 90 seconds to about less than 1 second! This obviously speeds up the work that gets done within a day.

What needs improvement?

The SQL Server Reporting Services can certainly use some more help. Within SSIS, I see room for more connectors and easier debug messages that would speed up the process of development. The biggest hurdle that any developer comes across is vague error messages.

About eight to nine years.

No. The installation and deployment process has always been smooth and simple.

No. Product is very robust and reliable.

Adding extra machines to the cluster environment is not difficult but certainly needs experienced developers/implementers to do that.

Excellent. They usually turn around within good time and you can also request new features directly from the group that is responsible for the product.

9/10

A different solution was not used previously.

I have been to many projects and usually the setup is pretty straight forward. But even when it comes to complicated setups such as multiple clusters, the product still seems easy once understood.

In-house implementation.

It varies from place to place. But a typical license would cost anywhere from a few thousand bucks to the upper $20k-$30k range.

• MicroStrategy
  • TeraData
  • Informatica.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the amount of data that you have and the amount you anticipate in the future. If you have multiple sources of data and multiple applications consuming it, sticking to a single solution might not be the best idea.