Microsoft BI Review

It reduces the time needed to generate reporting and provides an overview of company performance

What is most valuable?

Standardized solution that comes with data warehouse and BI cubes straight out of the box for deployment for both Dynamics NAV and AX products. Enhanced wizard allowing for customization of BI Solution without having to go through SQL scripts to generate additional measures and dimensions.

How has it helped my organization?

It reduces the time needed to generate reporting for an organization, allowing management to have an overview of how the company performs. Afterwards, it allows the company to formulate strategies to improve itself.

What needs improvement?

To add-in the functionality of AI into the reporting, so this can improve further on the product as it is currently. The BI reporting still relies on historical transactions.

Five years.

No. It works on all versions of NAV and AX.

The current deployment of the solution is up to 2TB. Do note that it still is not to the “Big Data” level.

We have our own technical team who supports the BI solution. We usually solve 95% of the issues encountered. For those that can’t be resolved, it is escalated to our HQ.

It is fairly straightforward. As long as there is a connection to the server which houses the NAV/AX database and all the data warehouse, since bi cubes are generated from the BI solution, without any need for user intervention.

What other advice do I have?

For the first project, we will advise using consultants to assist on the implementation, so the dos and don’ts of the solution can be known in the first instance without having to trial and error the solution.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a direct distributor of the solution in Asia market.