Microsoft BI Review
I like it's ability to do almost anything to create the necessary calculated fields and measures (DAX)
What is our primary use case?
- Running a team to build end-to-end BI solutions for large enterprises.
- Data typically stores in SQL Server. Some ad-hoc data pulled from SharePoint lists or Excel files.
- Use of SSAS Tabular in some models.
- Currently, no deployment of premium. A large deployment of PBI Pro.
- We also use Tableau Desktop and on-prem server, but Power BI was a go-to product.
How has it helped my organization?
- An easy learning curve for analysts. If they know how to use Excel pivot tables, then they can self-serve building visitations on curated data.
- Full stack end-to-end ETL and viz in one tool.
- Power Query for ETL, and externally easy to use. Majority of activities are low or no code.
- Creating a model and augmenting with additional calculations and measures extremely easily.
- Viz layer build is super fast. Very much like a PowerPoint experience.
- All elements together allowed for the rapid deployment of PoC products that could be tested and validated by businesses before being deployed.
What is most valuable?
- Power Query: The data prep tool allows for very easy ingestion, shaping and prepping of the data before loading into the model.
- DAX: Its ability to do almost anything to create the necessary calculated fields and measures.
- Viz layer: It's just easy to lay out a page.
What needs improvement?
The only real need is a lower tier pricing plan around premium. It’s a big step-up unless you have a very large user base (1000).
For how long have I used the solution?
One to three years.
**Disclosure: I am a real user, and this review is based on my own experience and opinions.
Last updated: Apr 09 2019
More Microsoft BI reviews from users