Microsoft BitLocker Review

Stable with good encryption but unsure if it protects the hard drive of stolen laptops

What is our primary use case?

BitLocker is a feature of which enables hard drive encryption. It's similar to Symantec Endpoint Encryption. For us, both go hand-in-hand, however, BitLocker has an advantage in that it stores the key in TPM.

What is most valuable?

The hard drive encryption is very good.

What needs improvement?

Right now, the problem for us is, if a laptop is stolen, how they address it with the hard drive if it is already protected in BitLocker? We cannot protect anything until we have a centralized server feed where w can get all the information from all the laptop and the device if it does get stolen. Currently, to solve this, we are using a solution called Unbound.

I'm a hardcore developer. I don't know whether the solution has any source files. That said, I don't see anything that's really lacking, feature-wise.

It's possible that the time it takes to pull items in to BitLocker could be reduced a bit. It can take a long time - sometimes up to 90 minutes.

I've been using the solution since I started working for my current company. I haven't been with them for so long and therefore haven't been working with the solution for too long just yet.

We have about 80,000 laptops and an encryption rate of approximately 99%. The stability seems to be pretty good.

I haven't attempted to scale the solution. I wouldn't be able to properly discuss how scalable it is at this time.

Currently, we have the solution on approximately 80,000 laptops.

I'm not sure if we will increase usage. I'm actually considering changing the solution in the near future.

I haven't really had any contact with technical support. Since I've never used them, I can't really discuss if they are responsive or knowledgable. Right now, my sole purpose is to look for an alternative to Unbound, and therefore I don't work too much with BitLocker troubleshooting.

I didn't handle the initial setup. It would be impossible for me to discuss the process or to talk about if it is difficult or straightforward. I didn't handle any aspect of the implementation.

I'm not really involved in the pricing aspect of the solution. I don't know if it is expensive or reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

I essentially joined the company and since I got here all the laptops and endpoints have been encrypted using BitLocker. We are using IBM as management for all the data and to stop Microsoft from taking away Unbound support.

We are looking for an alternative. We're curious about Symantec or endpoint encryptions that I can use with BitLocker, on top of the Symantec client that I have.

We're using the latest version of the solution, from what I understand. We load the solution directly onto laptops.

I would recommend the solution. However, if I find another endpoint solution, I may switch. I'm not tied to this product.

I don't have a lot of experience on the solution just yet. I'm still evaluating it in a lot of ways, and discovering the features.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

More Microsoft BitLocker reviews from users
...who compared it with McAfee Complete Data Protection
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BitLocker. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.