Microsoft BitLocker Review

Free to use with Windows 10 and easy to set up but needs to be easier to manage

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint encryption.

What is most valuable?

We were using the solution due to the fact that it was free with the machines that have Windows 10. As an organization, we were not paying money to have it. If you have Windows 10 you don't have to worry about paying at all.

It's my understanding that the initial setup is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I was looking for a better solution. It's my understanding that if you're just to generate that endpoint encryption and you just run it normally, it may not give you the actual protection you need as you don't have a centralized server.

At the end of it all, we are looking for something that can be easier to manage. Everything that you need to do manually can end up being an issue. If it's a product that can be automated, I would be happier with it. Right now, with the way it is arranged, it's a bit manual as it isn't centralized.

I joined this company a year ago. I've used it just for a few months due to COVID, as we have not been using it. It's just been used for a few months; less than a year.

I have not contacted technical support directly. I've mandated other team members to deal with them. On our side, the colleague who actually implemented the solution is also the point person who deals with technical issues.

He's reached out to Microsoft's technical support n the past. Last week, for example, he was engaged with them about some automation issues and about centralizing the solution.

However, due to the fact I haven't spoken with them, I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

At a previous company, I had used Symantec Endpoint Encryption.

While I did not personally set up the solution myself, it's my understanding that the process is not overly complex. My colleague managed the process, and for them, it was quite straightforward. They didn't run into any issues. A company, in general, should be able to do it quite easily.

The solution is completely free and available through Windows 10. We are not paying any licensing fees to use it.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

We have not gone to a server model, like running it through a centralized location. This is due to the fact that we decided to deploy it normally through creating encryption keys and sharing those keys so that we are able to access the machine using the keys themselves.

It has not been fully loaded across the company as we are looking for solutions that can work for us as a main solution.

What I wanted us to do, whether it was via BitLocker or Symantec or whichever tool, was to have a centralized administration so that we are able to create those keys and are able to share them. We also want to be able to control them from a centralized location. That's the type of solution I'm looking for. I do not want things to be done manually. Centralized administration is very good for that.

Before I can recommend the solution, I would want to understand it fully. I'm working with my colleague to be able to understand what is its strengths and its weaknesses are. Most companies want simple tools that don't cost a lot of money. I haven't used this tool too much, and therefore can't properly evaluate it. We're currently hoping we can roll it out in a better way. That remains to be seen.

From what I have seen so far, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

More Microsoft BitLocker reviews from users
...who compared it with McAfee Complete Data Protection
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BitLocker. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.