Microsoft BitLocker Review
Bitlocker made us believe that having physical possession of a system is not total possession of the data.

Valuable Features:

1. Bitlocker is easy to use. You start the wizard by right-clicking the drive and selecting “Turn on Bitlocker”. 2. Bitlocker encrypts the content of any drive and makes your data secure and safe. 3. The option of using either strong passphrase or smartcard to encrypt/decrypt the drive bring flexibility in terms of choice 4. Bitlocker recovery key can either be printed and stored in a secure place or stored in a drive. 5. In a Windows server environment, the combination of Bitlocker and Group Policy enforces the encryption of removable drives across the network. 6. It is free to Windows users provided your OS supports it.

Room for Improvement:

1. Although, drive encryption could be running in the background, it took a long time to encrypt a drive. 2. Bitlocker is available to Windows Ultimate / Enterprise edition only. Other edition of Windows should enjoy this facility My job functions involve writing scripts that I mostly apply to client’s computers both standalone and networked. I store most of these scripts in a flash drive to reduce the task of writing it at the client end. My major challenge was in securing the flash drive. In the past I had a case where a staff member wiped most of his important files, by unknowingly clicking on one of the scripts in the flash drive he collected from me. This incident almost caused me to lose my job.

Other Advice:

In order to avoid such an experience in the future, I was forced to search for a free tool that would help me encrypt my drive. Bitlocker was all we needed. To be sincere, I am not disappointed deploying the tool. All my drives are now encrypted. There is no fear of losing my job as a result of unauthorized access to my flash drives, and any other drives. Bitlocker also enabled us to encrypt the drive hosting the operating systems of our mobile users. All that the PC needs, is to be Trusted Platform Module (TPM) compliant, or rather, have a USB stick that contains the keys. This provides additional security to the systems.
2 visitors found this review helpful