Microsoft BitLocker Review
A simple tool, but very useful to secure data

Valuable Features:

1. Very easy to use. It can be done in a few steps in a wizard. 2. It is a free product that comes with Microsoft Windows. 3. It encrypts your whole drive, no matter if it is external or internal. 4. Recovery files can either be saved to a drive or printed to a paper.

Room for Improvement:

1. It is available for Microsoft Windows Ultimate and Enterprise editions only. 2. It takes a long time to encrypt and decrypt a drive.Bitlocker is a very user friendly tool, which can encrypt our data within a few clicks. There is no hard work to do. Because of that, I prefer to use it. It has no big steps and is also a very light tool. A major thing is that it is a free tool that comes with Microsoft Windows.

Other Advice:

As a student, I use flash drives frequently. Sometimes my colleagues borrow my flash and could potentially delete my important data. By encrypting my flash drive, I can avoid it. However, there are still a few problems with it. It comes only with the windows Ultimate and Enterprise editions, so the users who use other editions cannot use this tool. It takes a long time to encrypt a drive.

1 Comment

it_user4401VendorPOPULAR

Bitlocker ties user's hard disk to his laptop and it encrypts the data on the disk using software AES encryption on the fly. If he has a TPM, this is used for key storage. However he can enable it without a TPM and use a USB flash drive to effectively 'unlock' the unit.

09 March 13