Microsoft BitLocker Review

It did not conflict with Windows.

What is most valuable?

Whole Disk Encryption is great. BitLocker runs seamlessly during boot up. I also liked that it did not conflict with Windows, most likely since it was created by the makers of Windows, Microsoft.

How has it helped my organization?

BitLocker provides the common person with great security to guard against most threats consisting of efforts by unauthorized people who try to gain access to the computer by not allowing it to boot up absent a password.

What needs improvement?

There are options which could be implemented to make it a little more like PGP Whole Disk Encryption, but given the fact BitLocker is readily available, and has no known conflicts, I think it is a great product to secure against unauthorized access.

I have used and recommended BitLocker to people in the corporate and high net wealth arena.

Despite some bad press and conspiracy theories, I trust the product, but do recommend using a secondary effort such as encrypting a partition of the drive. This is helpful in the event BitLocker is compromised; using PGP with a different password (at least 20 characters; do not use words, of course).

We have not encountered any stability issues. I have heard some computers using other whole disk encryption solutions can freeze up at times; I have not heard of such with BitLocker.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

I have never needed to use customer service; however, corporate customer care at Microsoft is great at resolving issues.

I like the domestic support team; have yet to have an issue with them.

We did not previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was straightforward; very simple to install and modify from 128-bit to 256-bit encryption, 256-bit being the government standard for "Top Secret" information.

I did not use a vendor team to implement it.

1 Comment
Darren ChakerReal User

BitLocker interfaces perfectly with Windows since it is a Microsoft product. The encryption is and security methods used to prevent unauthorized access to booting up the computer are decent too! Some products do not compliment Windows and will sometimes freeze. That is why I like to recommend BitLocker.

19 June 18