Microsoft BitLocker Review

Easy to use and easy to recover someone's privacy

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use. It is usually easy to recover someone's privacy. The manageability is much easier than McAfee. I think that Microsoft is a leader in this area. We are in the Microsoft school so our judgment of McAfee will be a little bit unfair as we recommend Microsoft all the time because of the easy manageability and support. I think that McAfee is designed for a different customer and every time we open a ticket with their support, it takes a very, very long time. The main difference is just the manageability and support. In terms of the solution itself or the functionality, I know that McAfee is very strong, but manageability and support, for us, is much more important. It strengthens the solution for us.

We've been using this solution for almost six years.

The solution is very stable. I think that it's easy to start.

We tested with 300 users to date. The maximum deployment with it is for 300 users. That is not too much, but we are trying to scale it up. I don't think that we'll have a problem because it's the count for minimum deployment for Microsoft to support is already 5,000. I think that it can scale up to 5,000 without much hardware needed.

It is usually based on the number of computers and how this will be leveraged by the user. A normal project takes from one to two months, depending on the numbers. These numbers are read on the different departments and different mindsets of the users, in order to convince them to start correcting their data and explain to them that you will force a policy that will have an impact on their laptops. Afterward, encourage them in how this is chiefly for them. Usually, it takes a month or two months maximum.

It's not about pricing, because we are working with Enterprise companies that already have Windows Enterprise, so BitLocker comes already included as a Windows feature. It's free for Enterprise users. The price is only for deployment. The customer will pay for McAfee, however.

We are a partner for Microsoft here in Saudi Arabia, and one of our customers is interested in deploying Microsoft BitLocker to secure his computer devices and laptops, to encrypt all his data for hard disks, etc. I am already moving to read some documents and have some comparison between McAfee and BitLocker in order to convince the customer to install Microsoft BitLocker because from our insight we see that Microsoft BitLocker is much better than McAfee. That's why I was in need a document just to have a comparison between McAfee and Microsoft BitLocker.

From my point of view, Microsoft is much easier than McAfee. It is easy to deploy and integrate with Active Directory. Then, you have much more integration capabilities than McAfee. Microsoft is stronger and the integration between Microsoft ESP and all other Bit solutions is much better than McAfee. McAfee is a standalone solution right now that will not be efficient for the protection that we are aiming for. We need protection that integrates with all kinds of malware protection solutions. I think that Microsoft BitLocker is much better than McAfee.

What other advice do I have?

If anyone is looking for integration solutions and has a requirement related to integration between Active Directory and integration solutions, I think that he needs to strongly go to Microsoft BitLocker. If integration with Active Directory is not mandatory for him, I think that there are many other solutions in the market that equal or are much stronger than Microsoft.

I would give this solution an eight out of ten. In order to make it 9 or 10, I think that Microsoft would need to work on the desktop optimization deck that is coming with Microsoft to make the deployment much easier than what it is right now. Deployment is okay. As a partner, we can work on it without any issues, but some customers face issues deploying it by themselves because of the difficulty of understanding all of the requirements. The solution is very good and it is manageable for partners, because of their technical value or technical effort. For the level one customer help desk or administrator, however, it's not as easy. They should work on this part and make the deployment much easier.

More Microsoft BitLocker reviews from users
...who compared it with McAfee Complete Data Protection
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BitLocker. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,742 professionals have used our research since 2012.