Microsoft BitLocker Review

Enables us to encrypt any agency data on our computers

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution ncrypt any agency data . We probably have about 3,800 users on 5,000 plus computers and there are a variety of roles with some people doing data entry all the way through to system administrators. We're a statewide agency. We'll probably increase usage in another few years when we have more computers. I work as the Desktop Operations Manager in the company and we're a customer of Microsoft.

What needs improvement?

I think there is some room for improvement for end users and technical staff. They are the ones required to support the computers, learn how the solution functions and to troubleshoot. For now, they have to wing it most of the time and it could be better.

For additional features, I'd like to see something more manageable by our agency. We had a portal where we could manage these. I know there are products out there that have portals where you can actually manage the BitLocker and that would be much better. If we lose a computer now it's unclear whether Absolute Computrace can find it if it's been encrypted.
We have some issues with Microsoft about that.

I've been using this solution for four years.

I think stability is fine. My personal impression is that it's working the way it's supposed to. I  believe that the problem is on the end user side because they don't know how it functions. They get frustrated and accidentally activate the blocker and get locked out.

We've never had a problem with that.

We really haven't had much technical support on this other than from Dell trying to help us and Microsoft telling us everything is fine. We've only just started trying to determine what the problem is so hopefully things will improve.

Before this, we used Wave but when they were bought out by another company we switched to BitLocker.

Initial setup was straightforward.

This is not my area but I don't think we pay annual licensing costs. I think we just pay for computer leasing, and all fees are included in the purchase. I don't think we're getting our money's worth because we're often unable to locate computers that have been lost.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's important to involve the technical team when selecting a product and testing it out, rather than having the upper management make the decisions regarding which products to purchase. It's also important to get upfront support, technical support and maintenance, and maybe somehow get a portal where they can manage it themselves rather than it just kind of existing.

I would rate this product an eight out of 10. It does what it's supposed to do and it's just the troubleshooting that's a problem.

Private Cloud
More Microsoft BitLocker reviews from users
...who compared it with McAfee Complete Data Protection
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BitLocker. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,164 professionals have used our research since 2012.