Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Review

Offers cloud protection and comes embedded with Windows, but isn't very robust

What is our primary use case?

The solution is basically an antivirus and is used to protect users from a number of things. Mainly, the solution protects against cyber-attacks and defends a user from viruses so that files are protected. Of course, it will be very important to have a big antivirus in place so that companies are protected from big attacks. Windows Defender does not really do that.

What is most valuable?

The solution's main antivirus capabilities are okay. So far, they have kept us safe.

There is cloud protection as well, however, we don't utilize that very much.

What needs improvement?

The solution does not have deep protection. Sometimes you find that you have some virus attacks. Most times we're on the internet. As you search so many websites, chances are high you visit sites that are fraudulent. There could be cases like phishing, where software could be embedded in some websites or some other viruses could come into your PC under Windows Defender. The security is basically limited. It's not so strong, in my understanding. It could be more robust.

The solution could use improvement on the interface. Most different Defender software comes with a different graphical user interface and some tend to be a bit complex. They should work to make the interface more user-friendly for basic users. For myself, as an IT person, it's fine, however, for a layperson, the interface might be a bit confusing.

It would be nice if they would collect user ratings and feedback. It would help them find ways to better add features and add-ons in the future.

The dashboards always have room for improvement.

We've been using the solution for over two years now.

For the most part, free things are not as effective as licensing or something you purchase. That's why many times our clients ask for a licensed antivirus such as Kaspersky. Our clients do ask for licensed Kaspersky or BitDefender, or other antiviruses. Windows Defender, which is just a free version, is not as effective. It doesn't have deep support or deep protection.

We have ten people in our office and everyone is currently using the solution. That's just in our Ugandan office. We have head office in India, for example, and they may use it there as well.

I've never reached out to Microsoft's technical support. We haven't had issues that would require us to. I can't speak to their level of service.

We have clients that also ask to license Kaspersky or BitDefender for added protection.

The initial setup is not complex. We don't have a deployment or installation process, as the solution comes pre-installed with Windows. It's just the default software. It's part of their offering. We don't have to do anything separately.

There isn't really a licensing process. The solution was pre-installed by default. It simply comes with Microsoft Windows.

What other advice do I have?

We are Microsoft resellers.

The solution is not on the cloud. Our office is small. We use independent computers. It's not in a structured network environment. We just use a small wireless network. As individuals, we are using it on small computers.

In my region, I would not necessarily recommend this solution. I'd still advise my clients to have other antiviruses unless I get to know that there is a licensed version of Windows Defender that Microsoft is selling and licensing. I still go ahead to advise my clients to buy other antiviruses, which are more effective. Kaspersky, for example, is a good option.

I would rate the solution at a six out of ten. There are other more robust antiviruses on the market that you can license.

More Microsoft Defender for Endpoint reviews from users
...who compared it with McAfee MOVE AntiVirus
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.