Microsoft DPM Review

Good stability with an easy initial setup and capable of scaling

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a backup. We have some standalone and beta on it, however, we haven't got the whole stack on it now.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the organisation by taking care of disaster recovery.

What is most valuable?

The solution works well as a backup.

The initial setup is quite straightforward.

You can scale the solution easily.

The stability is very good.

What needs improvement?

The user interface can be improved quite a bit.

Overall, I wouldn't describe the solution as user-friendly. It's not very intuitive.

The issue is that for users who are not interacting with the product regularly, it becomes difficult to trace the various functionality available. The product version that we have does not have

I've been using the solution for almost a decade at this point. It's been about nine years. It's been a while.

The solution is stable and reliable. It doesn't crash or break down. There aren't bugs or glitches. It works well.

The solution can scale if you need it to. That's not a problem at all.

We have about 200 users on the solution right now.

I'm unsure as to if we will increase usage in the future. That's not due to the nature of its scalability. Rather, we find it's not user-friendly enough.

We've been satisfied with technical support so far. They are knowledgable and responsive. I have no complaints about their level of service.

I wouldn't describe the initial setup as complex. It's pretty straightforward.

The deployment doesn't take too long. It takes about an hour in total to do everything you need to do.

I handled the implementation myself. I didn't need the assistance of a consultant or integrator. It was handled in-house.

I bought the license for the solution from Microsoft as part of System Center. I'm not sure of the exact cost of the solution.

We did test a couple of other different solutions before we ultimately chose DPM.

What other advice do I have?

We're just Microsoft customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I believe that I am using the latest version of the solution. We got into later versions as we didn't use the beta version.

I wouldn't recommend this solution to others right now. It's not user-friendly enough. That level of annoyance with the product can really kill it.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. They used to give away this product and they stopped doing that. It would be nice if they returned to having it as a free solution. It would also be nice if they took some time to reconsider its design in order to make it more user-friendly in the future.

More Microsoft DPM reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft DPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.