Microsoft DPM Review

Good compatibility and the automated procedure works well, but the management reporting needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product for backing up our entire environment, which includes our ERP and all of the other systems that we have.

How has it helped my organization?

The whole idea for doing a backup is to be able to fully recover and restore, and some of the options are quite good for us. We have been happy with the recovery tasks that we've carried out.

What is most valuable?

The automated procedure is quite good for us, as it is able to capture all of the information that we require.

The compatibility is very good. We have an IBM AS/400 machine in our office that we're using, and we're able to back it up fine. This is the same for other systems, as well. I think that overall, it is really adaptable, compatible, and scalable.

What needs improvement?

Management reporting could be improved.

I have been using Microsoft DPM for the past four years.

I think that Microsoft DPM is very stable. We are a local authority and we are running multiple health information systems, engineering, and financial systems.

We have a vast number of systems and we're scaling up to more than 4,000 users. As of now, we have been able to scale up to our requirements.

We have been in contact with Microsoft technical support here and there. We have a local supplier that we work with, and it is important to keep in mind that DPM isn't the only product that we are using. We also use a configuration manager, an operations manager, and a service manager which is the service desk. The entire set is the Management Suite.

In terms of response time, they are okay. However, we've had an issue with not being about to get the kind of reports that we want in terms of managing our environment.

The initial setup was really straightforward and we didn't have any challenges. It took us between two and three weeks to deploy.

We completed the implementation and deployment in-house and without any issues.

Our IT department is divided into four groups which are security, infrastructure networks, MIS, and solutions. We have three engineers who are responsible for DPM.

What other advice do I have?

We are currently working with an on-premises deployment but we want to use the hybrid option now. We are looking forward to seeing how it performs.

To this point, from what we have been using, we have found this product to be okay and we haven't had any major issues. We are happy with the features that we have.

Overall, we are happy with this product. At the same time, I cannot give it a perfect rating until I see how well it scales in the cloud.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Microsoft DPM reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft DPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.