Microsoft DPM Review

Backup and recovery that is stable but support is no longer in existence

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for backup and recovery.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the recovery. The recovery of files on its own is no problem.

What needs improvement?

The DPM is pretty good, but when it comes to external devices, you can't back up to the external device. It's a huge drawback because once everything goes down, it goes down fully. We can't take a snapshot and take it outside, which is a problem.

Also, when it comes to recovery, the recovery process doesn't work properly. It doesn't recover. One of our drives failed and when we wanted to recover it from the other drive, it never worked. So, we couldn't recover the data.

Recovery of data if the server goes down, is not very good.

The DPM is good apart from the support services. We were told that the support was no longer in existence, which is why we are looking for another provider.

In the next release, I would like to see backup to external devices, so it can always restore the backup and we can take it externally and store it somewhere that it is off-site and archived. Currently, it does not allow us to do that because it is required to be in one location.

I have been using this solution for almost six years.

We have the latest update.

This solution is stable, we have not had any issues and the DPM is good. When it came to updating the backup, we had some issues.

We have 100 users, but in the old group, we had about 300.

The technical support is good.

The only issue is that we didn't have the support services when it comes to our requirements. They said that the support is normal.

The initial setup is straightforward. There is no complexity.

The deployment took about a day, to get the backup sorted out.

We have our own team and the Microsoft team came to help us.

We wanted to use Veritas, but the support for our services was not available.

What other advice do I have?

Because of our budget constraints, we had some issues and wanted to go ahead with this DPM because it is a Microsoft product. We were told that this particular software is known and in operation worldwide, and when it comes to backups in existence it's listed in the October 2019 report.

My advice would be not to install DPM because of the support services.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.