Microsoft Dynamics AX Review

The most valuable feature is the manufacturing module.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the manufacturing module. It addresses our product costing for tuna canning.

How has it helped my organization?

It keeps product costing close to the actual cost of production. It also gives us better handling of the approval process (workflow system).

What needs improvement?

The database requires a huge CPU and memory resources.

We have been using the solution since 2014.

We encountered an issue with stability. There was a problem on the workflow, which required escalation to Microsoft for resolution.

We encountered an issue with scalability. Hardware requirements are quite large compared with other ERP solutions.

I would give technical support a rating of 7/10.

The previous ERP solution did not have a good local technical support facility. Escalation to the product proprietor was even worse.

Like any other ERP system, the initial setup is straightforward:

• Business requirement analysis
  • Business/office procedures
  • Gathering of forms and reports
  • System mapping
  • Customization
  • Testing
  • Go-live

• Go for cloud implementation, if cost is critical.
  • Know the solution provider's fiscal period, as you can get a better discount if the contract signing is near the end of the fiscal period.
  • Identify your end-user role, as the license is based on user role/access.

We evaluated SAP and Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

Look for a solution that has multiple partners in your area (i.e., country). The system integrator should present a similar successful project implementation for reference.

Negotiate for implementation contingency (man-days). All business processes and procedures should be documented to ensure no surprises during and after implementation.

Handling change management is critical to the success of the project.