Microsoft Dynamics GP Review

The SQL database back end allows us to build integrations data between it and other systems.

What is most valuable?

Numerous third-party add-on products are available to purchase for specific business needs. A strong support system is available through a network of VARs and the internet community. The SQL database back end allows us to easily build integrations data between GP and other systems. It gives us the ability to develop customizations with .NET and Visual Basic.

How has it helped my organization?

We use the Sales Order, Purchase Order, and Inventory modules to handle this entire process from beginning to end.

What needs improvement?

Windows authentication is not available for the full GP 2016 client. The web client version only works for the standard product and a very limited number of third-party applications that must be written in Dexterity. If you have customizations written in .NET or Visual Basic, they will not work with the web client.

Our company has used the current GP 2016 version since we upgraded to it about six months ago, and have used previous versions for quite a few years. I have also used and/or consulted on this product for other companies for the past 19 years.

It has been stable overall for us.

We are a decent-sized organization with close to 150 GP user licenses and have been able to meet our scalability requirements as we continue to grow. We use a Citrix environment, so we only need to install updates and manage a small number of servers.

Support is normally provided by the VAR on record, of which there are plenty of well-skilled ones to choose from. There is also a vast amount of information on the web by which we normally resolve 90% or more of our issues without ever having to consult with our VAR. Our team is well-experienced with GP, so this works well for us. Others with less experience may need to consult with their VAR more often.

Since Dynamics GP is the company-wide ERP system we use, we migrate any companies that we acquire from their system to GP. I have also worked with clients in the past who have purchased GP and in most cases, they moved to GP because it provided additional functionality that their existing software did not have.

Initial setup is not that straightforward and I do not recommend that someone with limited experience of GP to do it themselves. Instead, an experienced VAR/consultant with a good understanding of accounting and reporting should be used, because they will be aware of the types of mistakes that are commonly made during setup that can result in much pain down the line.

I’m not that familiar with the current pricing structure, but your VAR can provide you with details of the different options. Be sure to ask them if Microsoft has any promotions running because they do periodically run them.

I have not evaluated anything else.

What other advice do I have?

Invest the extra resources up front to work with a qualified consultant (VAR). If you are not an expert with this product, don’t make the mistake of thinking you can do it yourself, as you will stand a good chance of making mistakes that will be costly down the line. It’s very important to set up your initial account framework and GL account structure to handle the current and future needs of your business, so at the very least spend the time and effort to get this part right.