Microsoft Dynamics NAV Review

Very customizable, quite stable, and offers a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We are into pension funds administration. Our core function involves onboarding of clients, management pension funds and remittance of client pensions when they meet the criteria set out for disbursement. The management process of pension funds involves collection of clients monthly pension contributions and investing the asset to generate additional value for our clients and this is where MS Navision comes into the picture.

We essentially use MS Navision as our backend ERP system being used in managing all the records and potential costumer requests. However, we use a different system in managing our investment booking process.

Invariably, there is a handshake between our MS NAV system and investment solution which helps to create the unitization process and generation of fund price.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps to automate the management and processing of clients funds

What is most valuable?

One of the reasons why NAV was best suited for us was the fact that it was customizable. All the functions aren't off-the-shelf.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

We're actively looking at migrating to Business Central by the end of the year. This is due to the fact that support for the solution would have ended. MS Business Central is Microsoft's replacement to MS NAV which would reached it's end of life this year.

It would be nice if the integration process was much easier.

I don't see any reason why Microsoft can't use a standard Microsoft development environment  to develop it. It makes it hard for my development team to create additional module using another development language C/side

We've been using NAV for more than 10 years. We even upgraded from the 2015 to 2017 model. We have been using the product for a very long time at this point.

The solution is quite stable. We have no complaints. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. it's reliable.

The product is quite scalable. If a company wants to expand it, it can do so.

Technical support has been good over the time. However, Microsoft is ending support in June of this year, which is why we need to move away from the product.

There are two things to keep in mind with the initial setup. The installation is different from customization. Installing NAV is pretty easy, however, as a customer, we have to get a Microsoft partner to help us build the models that we want to have on it, which leads to additional costs. That said, in terms of installing it, it's pretty straightforward.

In order to get the solution to suit our environment, it took us six months to deploy the a fully functional solution.

We do need the assistance of a Microsoft partner to help us customize certain models.

There are additional costs involved due to the fact that you need Microsoft partners to help build out specific modules that are not out of the box.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft is stopping support for NAV this year, which is why we are planning to migrate to Business Central. We expect it to have good technical support and also easy to use. Most  likely, the solution will be similar, so that we don't need a lot of training on the new system before or after migration.

While I would normally recommend the solution to other organizations, the problem right now is that the product is no longer being supported by the OEM.

I would suggest that organizations planning to move to MS NAV should focus on MS Business central instead.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

More Microsoft Dynamics NAV reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Dynamics NAV. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.