Microsoft Exchange Review

Quite stable, with an easy setup, and works well overall

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for work email.

What is most valuable?

It's so much of a part of what I do every day that I don't give it a lot of thought. It just works, for the most part, until it doesn't, in which case I call tech support.

What needs improvement?

Exchange can be a little finicky, sometimes, or flakey. Last week, for example, I had gone into my calendar to check on some briefings that I had established, and then went back into my inbox, and suddenly the view had changed. I had no idea what it was that I had done, and I couldn't figure out how to get that view back. I took a productivity hit as a result of that, trying to fix it, due to the fact that it just wasn't what I wanted. It wasn't what I was used to working with. Two different tech support people had to work with me in order to get the view back to what I wanted just so I could be productive.

The fact that I messed around trying to get that view back, and could not figure it out for myself, and it took two different tech support people to help me get back to what I had before, is an area of improvement. I have no idea what it was that I did that caused the view to change. All I was doing is going from the calendar back to the inbox, and it was somehow different. It may have been a UI bug. I'm unsure.

The second tech person that was working with me to try to get the view back the way I wanted it, told me one time his cat walked across his keyboard and it totally screwed things up for him. He had no idea what had happened, and he had to go back and re-set up a lot of configurations. That tells me there must be something wrong in the design, if small things can happen to set it off like that.

I've probably been using the solution, on different jobs, for about 20 years at this point.

I believe the solution is quite stable.  I don't recall it crashing on me, for example. That would be a big, "Oh my God, what do I do?" situation due to the fact that I rely on it so heavily. It's a workhorse for me.

Just that fluke occurrence recently around the views changing, and how the information was presented in the inbox, that's maybe a stability issue as well as a UI issue.

Everybody in our company uses the solution, however, we're pretty small. There are only 20 of us. I'm not sure how it scales, as we wouldn't need it to.

I don't work with Microsoft Exchange for technical support. I worked with a company that does tech support for us. In terms of judging Microsoft's services, I wouldn't be able to give any feedback.

I don't recall the initial setup being complex. When I joined this company three years ago, the tech support folks set it all up and I don't remember it being particularly painful.

I have no idea what the licensing costs are on the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I'm unsure as to which version of the solution I'm working with at this time.

I've been using Exchange forever as an end-user, however, I don't know much about the technical aspects of it. I just use it a lot. For me, it's always worked quite well, and because of that, I haven't' given anything about it much thought.

When it works, it's a beautiful thing. When it doesn't, you want to tear your hair out. Sometimes that's the price that we pay for the automation that we get.

I'd rate the solution overall eight out of ten.

More Microsoft Exchange reviews from users
...who work at a Construction Company
...who compared it with Microsoft Exchange Online
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Exchange. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.