Microsoft Exchange Review

It integrates well with calendar and scheduling, it's easy for employees to plan agendas

How has it helped my organization?

It helps because it's easier for the employees to exchange emails. Instead of their using their personal emails, at least now they are using the company email.

What is most valuable?

One thing I like about it is the support. Microsoft is very good at providing support. I also like that it integrates well with calendar, scheduling, etc. It's easy for employees to make meetings and plan their agendas.

What needs improvement?

It requires a lot of maintenance. I think the cloud solution would be better and easier to manage as well.

Deployment should become a bit easier, the process is a bit complicated. You have to have done it one or two times before you get it right. The first time you do it, it won't be perfect. There are a lot of complications compared to Gmail For Business, which is a bit easier when it comes to configuration.

It is very stable. But at certain times you find that fixes and patches which they release can mess things up. But so far, I haven't come across any major issue.

The support is there with the number of people using it. It's very easy to get solutions when you're stuck. Somewhere, someone is going through the same problems. They're willing to help you with the solution.

At the time I joined the organization, they didn't have an email solution in-house. Employees were using their personal emails. Some of were using Yahoo!, some were using Gmail. If someone left the company, they would take with them the emails they had received from clients. We needed an in-house email solution like Exchange so that if someone leaves we are able to keep the emails.

To me, the most important criteria when selecting a vendor are maintenance and support. Features also matter. Then I look at the pricing. Is it too costly, is the organization going to be able to afford it? So cost plays a major role. When I go to the Director and say I want to buy this solution, the main thing he will look at is the pricing. He will ask, "Why are you getting these features, it's very expensive. Why aren't you going with this other option, it's cheaper?" But again, if the support is great and the pricing is a bit higher it's worth it.

The installation was simple and straightforward. We didn't have any hiccups. It went fine.

They are flexible when it comes to pricing, unlike most of the other vendors I have dealt with.

What other advice do I have?

If you don't really mind the cost then go for Microsoft. You can never go wrong with them, their solutions are very good. They're stable. They're all tested, so when you start you know it has already been tested. There are many people using it, it's comfortable, it's stable. You won't have any hiccups. I would recommend it.

One thing I've been doing is, before I deploy it to a production environment, I always create a "lab" where I try it out and make sure everything is working properly.