Microsoft Forefront [EOL] Review

There is simplicity in the management of the product compared to its competitors

What is most valuable?

• Web proxy services along with the integrated firewall
  • VPN
  • Intrusion prevention
  • Malware inspection
  • URL filtering

The simplicity of managing the product compared to its competitors, like BIG-IP F5 and Citrix NetScaler.

How has it helped my organization?

The ease of deploying mobile functionality through the web proxy has significantly improved and encouraged the use of mobile workspaces.

What needs improvement?

The product has unfortunately reach its End-Of-Life (EOL) at Microsoft and is now replaced by several products.

I have used it for about five years as an employee at The National Land Survey of Sweden (Lantmäteriet).

It was very stable.

No issues, but you had to plan ahead before deploying redundancy with a Threat Management Gateway (TMG) cluster.

I never had to use tech support for the product.

We used Microsoft ISA Server 2004 before and upgraded to TMG 2010 to support Publishing Exchange 2010.

The initial setup was easy as the product had wizards to deploy services.

No advice regarding this product as it has reached its EOL. Regarding competitive pricing and the same functionality for load balancing and proxy, I recommend KEMP’s products.

No. As there were no other products at the time that had support for Exchange 2010 when TMG 2010 was released.

Threat Management Gateway (TMG) 2010
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My current company is a Microsoft Partner.
More Microsoft Forefront [EOL] reviews from users