Microsoft Identity Manager Review

Help users with different groups, closing different applications, access provision, and for de-provisioning access to different applications

What is our primary use case?

I use Microsoft Identity Manager to help users with different groups, closing different applications, access provision, and for de-provisioning access for different applications.

How has it helped my organization?

I deploy the products for my different customers as an offer for my organization. We will deploy this product with 95% of the customers that I'm working with professionally.

What is most valuable?

With Microsoft Identity Manager, most of the time the organizations actually agree that it is a primary benefit to use them. Since Identity Manager is from Microsoft, there is the assurance that it integrates alphabetically. It also works well with the server.

Microsoft integration products are strong. That is what I like about the product.

What needs improvement?

If we compare this Microsoft Identity Manager with Okta or OneLogin, both provide multiple connectors and box connectors. Whereas with Microsoft Identity Manager, there are limits.

Instead of using the connectors from the third-party companies, they should make the Microsoft templates available with this product. If Microsoft would increase the number of the box connectors that would be helpful to all the customers who use it daily.

Microsoft Identity Manager is good for using in production and increasing recruitment.

The stability of the solution is very good.

Scalability-wise, Microsoft Identity Manager is good. It is not meant for consumers. It's meant for enterprise identity management, it is not meant for consumer identity management.

I have implemented for 35,000 users, 40,000 users, and 16,000 users, plus another 5,000 user base. The product can scale in terms of how many users it can hold. It is a combination of multiple admin users, employees, and contractors. Even administrators are also part of Microsoft Identity Manager, but it is a very minimal number.

For deployment, one architect and two implementation consultants would be good and enough to deploy the solution in high-availability after recovery.

With all the high-availability and data recovery concerns, three people would have to be required to deploy. Whereas for the support, it just depends on the user base. If it is a minimal user base we can offer any company shares per user, but if the user base is large, then a dedicated support model is required.

I had experience dealing with Microsoft customer support when I was working for Behold. The technical support is a little slow. They are a little slow in responding and they take their own time when offering the service.

I'm happy but I'm not delighted with their support.

I have deployed Microsoft for multiple customers but I haven't done the migration from one identity manager product to MIM. I have deployed various products.

I haven't migrated from any other identity manager to Microsoft Identity Manager.

If we compare Microsoft Identity Manager to a cloud-based identity management solution, the initial setup is complex.

If you compare Microsoft Identity Manager with Okta or OneLogin and the direct cloud solutions, these are all fast solutions awaiting only minimal configuration. The number of companies for which we uniquely install Microsoft Identity Manager is a little more than what we allocate fact-based IDM solutions for overall.

Deployment depends on if the customer requires high availability and disaster recovery strategy, or the number of applications that we need to integrate.

The time that it takes to deploy the solution, integrate applications, and configure the dynamic overflow typically takes around three months.

The deployment requires a minimum of three months and sometimes it can go up to six months.

I work for companies who provide the services as an integrator. I work as a systems integrator.

Microsoft Identity Manager comes with the premium or community license. If the customer doesn't have a premium license, the reseller who sells the licenses of Microsoft to the enterprise can extend the license for the client.

Generally, I don't have exposure towards the final figures, but I believe Microsoft is very well in line with other products in terms of pricing.

I was evaluating OneLogin and since I don't have experience with other software, I had to recommend Microsoft Identity Manager on the basis of customer requirements.

What other advice do I have?

The out of the box connectors need to be increased. We can integrate with multiple applications to connect together through using Microsoft Identity Manager.

I would grade Microsoft Identity Manager at 7 or 8 out of 10. I wouldn't give it a ten because of the lack of out of box connectors. I don't see any other drawback in the product.