Microsoft Intune Review

Integrates with various devices and has a fantastic Autopilot feature, but doesn't handle software updates well by itself and should have a seamless remote desktop capability

What is our primary use case?

It is mainly used as an endpoint management tool for MDM. We are using it for Windows devices, iPads, and Macintosh devices.

We have its latest version. It is mostly cloud-based or SAS only, and we have a couple of clients that use hybrid.

What is most valuable?

The Autopilot feature is fantastic. It is a Microsoft product, so it deals best with Microsoft operating systems, but it can integrate with iOS, Mac OS, Linux, and Android.

What needs improvement?

It just doesn't handle software updates well at all by itself. You need to be a scripting wizard to make those happen properly, or you use third-party tools. The Windows feature updates are very difficult to implement.

I would like to see a proprietary built-in remote control tool. I know that they have Team Viewer integrated, but it is not seamless. It would be nice if they had a seamless remote desktop capability directly from the Intune console.

I have been using this solution for four years.

Outside of a couple of little hiccups, it is very stable.

It is scalable.

Overall, they're pretty decent. Their response time is sometimes a little slow, but they do get back to you and offer assistance.

I have used Workspace ONE. Workspace ONE works really well for iPads and Androids. I haven't used it recently for Windows. They had just started to sort of delve into that arena, but I can't really say how well it works because I haven't really tried it on Windows 10. Workspace ONE is far superior when it comes to iOS and Android OS. If I remember correctly, they're comparable in price.

It is straightforward for somebody who has got experience. It is certainly not something that somebody who came off the street can do easily. There is a lot of documentation, but the documentation varies widely, and it can be difficult to set up. Microsoft does offer some good support and assistance with it. If you have a user base of 300 devices or more, they'll actually walk you through the entire setup and assist you.

Currently, I am solely providing support for eight different clients who probably have over a thousand devices in total. So, the maintenance isn't difficult.

Most of our clients come to us with licensing already in place. On average, it costs $6 per device per month to add Intune to an Office 365 subscription, but I am not sure.

What other advice do I have?

If your clients have Office 365, and they're not using Intune, they should be.

I would rate Microsoft Intune a six out of ten.

More Microsoft Intune reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware Workspace ONE
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Intune. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.