Microsoft Intune Review

It helps restrict certain access to mobile devices. But, it is Samsung knox centric.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to implement conditional access policies to restrict mobile users from accessing emails until their devices comply.

How has it helped my organization?

Intune should be much more granular in terms of supporting more devices. It is mainly only supported for Samsung knox devices. If you want to restrict the user, and not to turn on the camera and such, most of the policies that I found were more supported only towards Samsung knox devices. But, some policies are supported for Android 4.0 operating systems. Most of these policies are only for Samsung knox. I wish there was more diversity regarding other Android devices. In our country, there are multiple vendors, such as: Samsung, Huawei and more. I would prefer other solutions if I'm implementing restricting the devices in terms of applying the policies.

What is most valuable?

It has many features, but the most prominent is that other mobile device solutions support more polices. Much more diversion is needed in implementing the policies in different kinds of devices. As I have worked, it has not supported too many policies for android devices. Every 3rd or 4th policy that was supported is for Samsung knox devices. So, most people prefer to use Intune if they want to implement conditional access policies to restrict customer exchange online or exchange user formats emails until their devices comply.

You can publish Apps on the devices and take inventory of the devices, but it's all about the companies who were interested due to implementing conditional access policies to restrict  users. They want to restrict the users in order to access emails until their device is secure and then comply with the security policies of the organization.

What needs improvement?

Most of the customers expect that most of the policies will be there for Android, to implement the policies. Unfortunately, most of the policies that I found are for Samsung knox devices, that is specific to a device or specific to a vendor. That's why most of the customers have a hard time with Intunes, because most of the policies they see is for Samsung knox. They want Intunes to support Android devices. If it is supported by other Android devices, then it's very complicated because if you want it implemented, you have to use some custom equipment. There are a very limited number of policies that are applied, and all generate other devices like Samsung knox devices.

Most of the customers in the business do not use Intune because it doesn't support that much policy for Android. Here in Pakistan, most of the end users are using Android devices. Windows is out of the question. They don't use Microsoft mobile phones. Most of the popular devices are iOS, and the ultimate users are Androids. I think 80% of the users are using Android devices here and less than 20% are using iOS devices.

So, the customer is expecting to apply policy on Android devices and it's not generated specific to a vendor like Samsung knox, so they don't buy it, and they don't consider it.

Yes, it is a stable solution. There were a few stability issues, but most of us are happy with the stability of the solution.

I do not think scalability is an issue.

It was not easy, but not too complex. If an engineer knows what he or she is doing, then it is not difficult.

The product is offered as part of a Microsoft standard bundle. The pricing can be competitive to VMware Airwatch, and IBM MaaS360.

We considered VMware Airwatch and IBM MaaS360

What other advice do I have?

From my experience if the requirement is to lock down the Android devices through Intune, then I should advise to look at the different policies that are available for Intune before doing the implementation. Because, if the policies do not meet the requirements of the organization to lock down the devices or to apply the policies on the devices, then it does not make any sense. So, for Android devices in particular, if you are implementing Intune then you should first look at the policies that are available in Intunes and then try to evaluate and do proof of concept.