Microsoft MDS Review

Flexible, stable, scalable, includes an Excel API add-in, and the support is good

What is our primary use case?

It can be used for all the data cataloging, master data management, manufacturing, product management, data harmonization, data stewardship, for any kind of master data, and product catalog.

What is most valuable?

It gives you the flexibility to have in-depth experience. It allows you to collect data and save it as a golden record. You have the flexibility for data stewardship.

They also have an Excel API where you can do everything from Excel. You can make changes with the connectivity on the Excel API.

It's very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The version that I work with is on-premises and it required an additional virtual machine on the cloud. It would be a better option to have an on-cloud version.

I have been using this solution for three years.

We are using the latest version.

It's very stable. Stability is one of the best features.

It's scalable. It's based on Microsoft SQL Server.

They are using this solution at an enterprise level for our customer who is an implementer. They are going to produce data and scale it.

We contacted technical support with an issue that we were having and they were able to solve it. It was a learning phase but Microsoft provided support.

Microsoft support is good. They are customer-friendly and they are knowledgeable.

We are using SAP for the master data.

SAP is more expensive than Microsoft. It's costly.

SAP is a very good ESP tool that can also be used for master data services.

It's very stable.

I was not a part of the installation. I have not done it, but it should be simple.

It's similar to any SQL server installation.

Implementing with the cloud was a little bit complex.

There was an issue with the production version.

What other advice do I have?

In my current organization, I'm recommending reviewing all of the product cataloging master data management. This is what I would recommend for anybody who wants to do master data management, they use this product.

I would rate Microsoft MDS an eight out of ten.

More Microsoft MDS reviews from users
...who compared it with Profisee
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft MDS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,975 professionals have used our research since 2012.