Microsoft MDS Review

Excellent dynamic data masking, but needs to integrate better with Microsoft's other products

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to have one true copy of data with Master Data Services. It's improved our organization by removing redundancies. It has reduced the duplication across a number of different databases.

What is most valuable?

The dynamic data masking, the row-level security, and the data quality business rules are the most valuable features of the solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be better integrated into Microsoft's other products.

One of the key features that it doesn't have is a data modeling feature. Everyone uses Microsoft, but not for modeling. They use IBM, SAP PowerDesigner, etc. It would be really good to combine this solution with a modeler. For me, that's what is missing.

In a future release, I would like to see a better link to SSIS, Microsoft's business intelligence product. I would also like to see improvements in the user interface.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is very stable.

I believe the solution is easiest to scale when housed by Azure. In previous installations, we housed 20-50 people, max.

Technical support is very good.

Every installation that I previously worked on had some form of Microsoft MDS.

I didn't handle the initial setup; it's dealt with by a different team. I believe it's very straightforward in terms of an installer having a model object package which contains all of the entities, attributes, groups, hierarchies, business rules, etc. And this is deployed as a package via an XML file. That's the standard way of doing it.

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud version of the solution.

The beauty with Master Data Services is that it's centralized in one place and the problem with other solutions is that most of them have been created in house. There is an overlap between them.

The big advantage of this solution is with regards to a data warehouse. What you can do is cleanse the data and make it consistent throughout the warehouse before it gets into it, so it guarantees consistency.

I'd recommend Microsoft MDS. It's the best MDM tool out there.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.