Microsoft .NET Framework Review

A mature development platform with a helpful IDE and extensive documentation

What is our primary use case?

We are part of the development team.

We use this solution with TFS as our ALM tool, and we use the information server for the deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been using this solution for development for a long time and it has proven to be helpful.

What is most valuable?

The .NET framework is a mature platform that is very helpful and saves time during the software development process.

The IDE is quite helpful.

There is a lot of very extensive documentation available.

What needs improvement?

The price of the Enterprise version is quite high and can be improved. If Microsoft would provide a monthly subscription at a cost that a developer can afford then it would be really helpful.

From a security standpoint, the tools are not that mature.

I have been using the Microsoft .NET Framework for more than 25 years.

This is a very stable platform for enterprise development. It has been maturing since its inception and is very helpful for delivering products.

We have dealt with the technical support team and they are very helpful. Whenever there are issues, especially when troubleshooting in a production environment, Microsoft and the support people provide a lot of technical expertise and we are very happy with it.

This product is really helpful when compared to other solutions such as open-source platforms. All of the tools are interlinked, rather than having individual tools for individual features. What Microsoft provides is a complete tool, with all of the features contained.

The initial setup is easy. There is a vast amount of resources made available by Microsoft and a lot of guidance being provided to the developers.

I lead a development team and the team members perform the deployments. There is a lot of guidance available on the Microsoft website that is really good, so the deployments are not troublesome.

There is a Community Edition that can be used free of charge, but the licensing cost for the Enterprise version is quite high. Some of the tools that are available in the Community Edition need a valid license to run.

Compared to other vendors, Microsoft products definitely have a higher price tag. I would say that is my only grievance.

What other advice do I have?

Talking from an application developer's perspective, this platform is very helpful because it provides a common development line across all of the products that Microsoft provides. This includes things like Microsoft Dynamics, the Cloud Integration tool, and SharePoint. It makes it very easy to jump from one application tool to the other.

The Community Edition can be used free of charge and is helpful for both new developers, as well as those who are shifting to the Microsoft platform.

Over time, this product has matured and all of the new features have been helpful in improving the performance of application developers. Overall, we are very satisfied with using this platform for application development. It is very good. That said, there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.