Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Review

The documentation repository is key as it assists us in collaborations with others

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of SharePoint is as a document library, or repository of files, for our project management sites which are basically communication sites. We're currently using the solution on-prem but have also used it on cloud. We have a vendor relationship with Microsoft and I'm a business system analyst

What is most valuable?

I like the way the solution was helpful in delivering project updates. I can incorporate my project timelines presented in web page format along with the KPIs. The documentation repository is within the same page too so you have the updates, the timeline status, and the documents which you can pull out. It means you can collaborate with others all in the one location.

What needs improvement?

The solution could probably be improved by incorporating some of the power apps for workflow and easy set up. I usually get most of the workflows in automated mode and we're barely using the full features of SharePoint. I think it could be simplified so it doesn't require coding. For example, if there's an ad hoc workflow, it could be added immediately instead of going to a different application. If they could incorporate and enhance the user friendliness of SharePoint with the workflow of SharePoint, that would be great.

I'm not sure it's feasible for SharePoint to integrate with mobile gadgets as an additional feature but if they were able to do that, it would mean that even if you have external documents, they can be extended to any variable whether it's a gadget, tablet, watch or whatever. Right now, the SharePoint site can be rendered in mobile apps, but there's a limitation, it doesn't extend to smart watches.

I've been using this solution for about six years.

This is a stable solution.

We haven't had any issues with scalability. It's quite easy to scale up or down.

I don't have much interface with the Microsoft Office because it's usually the SharePoint architect or developer that needs to make contact with support.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. I've also used Citrix ShareFile and if I compare that solution to SharePoint, my preference would be to go with SharePoint. It's a more user friendly and intuitive solution.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

More Microsoft Office SharePoint Server reviews from users