Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Review

Collaboration works, but the product is behind in feature development and its aging GUI

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is mostly collaboration. We use it for document sharing and things of that nature.

What is most valuable?

I would say the collaborative part of the product is the most valuable. You can just send a link to to content to other people. You can get stuff done in one place and keep it centralized rather than attaching documents into a emails. Working this way just makes the job function a little bit easier.

What needs improvement?

The product has a lot of room for improvement. A lot. The UIs are really clunky and Microsoft needs to fix that. Their access control is horrible and they need to fix that as well. I think overall that the look-and-feel and usability are really 10 years old. They have not done anything to improve and update it over that time. It is a good product. But updating it is definitely something they should look into. I do not know what their strategy is for lagging with the redesign of that.

It needs better usability and enhanced features. I think SharePoint does allow you to create websites, but if you compare it with the other providers like even Google sites or Google pages, those solutions make it so much easier to create those pages. SharePoint is not up to speed on that functionality. I think that is something they can probably easily do.

We have been using SharePoint for a pretty long time. It has been around somewhere between five and ten years.

I think the stability of SharePoint is okay and not all too bad. If you compare it to Outlook —which I think is still not as stable as it should be after all this time — SharePoint is fine by comparison. Stability is generally not an issue.

I would not know about scalability directly because I use the product and I am not involved in scaling the usage.

I know that we have about 100,000 people in our company using the solution, and many of those will be using it on a daily basis. Certainly, it can handle high volume.

I do not know if we have any plans on increasing the usage of Office SharePoint Server. I am not an IT person and I am not involved in that area of planning. Somebody else does everything to maintain the product and then I just use it for my document management.

I do not really have the type of position where I would be contacting support over any issues I have with SharePoint. I know that Microsoft does not really have impressive support.

When it comes to the installation, Microsoft has made that fast and efficient. You really do not have to do anything special to get going with the product. Everything is browser-based.

I think we have a corporate license for SharePoint. We have a special arrangement with Microsoft because we are a reseller for pretty much most of the Microsoft products. Whatever our pricing is will probably not be like the standard model.

What other advice do I have?

I think SharePoint is a good tool. This is especially true if you are in the Microsoft ecosystem — as in being an Office 365 user — then SharePoint is definitely something you should look at as a solution for collaboration and file sharing. It is well integrated within the Office suite.

They also have a thing called Microsoft Teams. I do not know how they are planning to use both these solutions in the field because Microsoft Teams also does quite a bit of the same stuff that SharePoint does. There is a lot of overlap.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Office SharePoint Server somewhere in the middle of the pack for products like it. It is definitely not the worst, but it is also definitely not the best.

I would only give it only a four-out-of-ten because I really think they need to make a significant effort to bring it up to par.

More Microsoft Office SharePoint Server reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Office SharePoint Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.