Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Review

InfoPath forms automate our organizational processes and forms.

What is most valuable?

InfoPath and Nintex Workflow Engine are the features that are most important to me.

How has it helped my organization?

We used SharePoint to automate the documentation flow and develop SharePoint-based IT systems for licensing, managing documents, the help desk, and task libraries.

We used InfoPath forms to automate our organizational processes and forms, and managed the workflow for these forms using Nintex Workflow Engine. Using these features together, we converted our paper work to electronic digital data.

What needs improvement?

The Branding and User Interface Design and CK Editor should be improved, as well as the upgrade process.

There needs to be a clear and direct process for upgrade from one SharePoint version to another. The documentation available on TechNet is insufficient. We had to create a visual studio solution for the upgrade from SharePoint Server 2007 to the 2010 edition.

Multi-lingual support, including Arabic, is weak in the CK Editor. This is especially a problem when you copy Arabic from Microsoft Word. The format is not the same and we need to reformat the content every time.

There is also room for improvement in Branding and User Interface Design. One of our SharePoint environments is the internet-facing site: www.pcma.ps. There is not enough documentation or a direct process for redesigning the standard SharePoint interface.

I have been using SharePoint for six years.

For the most part, we did not have any stability issues.

We did not have any issues with scalability.

I would rate the level of technical support as moderate.

Before we moved to SharePoint, we used a locally developed .Net-based system which had lots of bugs, and lacked features when you compare it to SharePoint.

The initial setup was straightforward and easy.

The licensing model for SharePoint 2013 and 2016 is more efficient than the 2010 version because they removed the internet edition, which was the most expensive.

We went directly with SharePoint because it was the content management leader at the time.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend it, but it is better to hire at least one SharePoint expert so that you will have a good implementation and internal support.

2 visitors found this review helpful