Microsoft OneDrive Review

Keep organized and have access to important files wherever you are

What is our primary use case?

My primary use for the product is keeping files off my desktop and then to use it as a backup if my hard drive cracks or something like that.

I am just a one-person consulting firm. I used to have more people working for me, but they are all retired. I am still here and I am the only one left because I was so much younger than everybody else. To Microsoft, I am just a customer and my grandchildren buy their video games.

What is most valuable?

You can set up different drives in OneDrive. This helps you keep organized. For example, you can create this drive as my personal OneDrive, make another drive as my work OneDrive, add another as my [whatever this is] OneDrive. I like that capability.

What needs improvement?

From my own personal experience, I have a story that tells about how and why the product can be improved and it mostly has to do with customer care. This is about a situation that really caused me great aggravation.

I am an independent consultant, so I have OneDrive in my business set up and I pay monthly and it bills monthly. I foolishly let my granddaughter get a robot gaming account under my Microsoft account. Because she is only nine years old and she has autism, she really does not understand what she is doing sometimes. She kept buying points for a game she was playing a lot of and I did not know she was doing it. She would go buy $200 a day in robot points, and then I got on my robots bill and found out what was going on. They would not let me separate the accounts so I could stop the billing. If I canceled the account, I would have to cancel her account, and then she would lose all the things that she had done and accumulated in the game.

So I removed the credit card, let that account die out, and then started a new account. I made a new password and all that stuff to start over. When you get a new account, they give you a 30-day free trial. Because I use it and knew I wanted it I already bought PowerPoint in the project and they built that. When the trial came near to the end, they sent me an email saying "your trial is coming to an end" and I called them just to make sure that the PowerPoint purchase was not considered part of the trial that they were talking about because I didn't want to lose anything when I let it lapse. They assured me that everything was good.

When the trial came to an end. They removed all the files and I had been working on with a client analyzing their IBR (incremental borrowing rate). So I lost all my trees and they totally removed everything I'd spent hours on. I called and tried to find out what was going on. They spent an hour or two on the phone with me trying to go different ways calling different departments to find out where they might still have the data. Turns out they did not. They lost it.

So my caution about the product and trial periods is to be careful. Because I had multiple Microsoft accounts, when the first tech checked and looked it up they thought I had a valid license for the new Microsoft account. They were referring to the old one. There is my lesson learned.

Besides that episode, I like working with Microsoft products. But then another thing happened. I had another customer and they wanted me to set up on their desktop. So I created a Microsoft account for them so I could use their client email and their OneDrive and all that stuff in their name. For the life of me, I could not get that removed off my desktop after I had it installed.

I had to call Microsoft to try and get it working right again. I could not do a regular delete to get rid of the stuff from the other account. It does not let you delete it. So every time I logged in from scratch, it sent up an error saying I had the wrong password for this account. I just do not need that account anymore and there was no way to get rid of it or regain control of the login.

They were terrible for support after COVID hit. I want to write an article on the companies that achieved during COVID and then the companies that used it as an excuse to provide poor customer service. Microsoft would be under that jurisdiction. In the end, I would use it again if it worked and I got my password straight. It works great but with the product, you get the behemoth Microsoft customer support services.

I have not contacted them lately, so I do not know if they got it working right. When COVID hit, they just went off the deep end claiming they could not fill support requests.

Otherwise, I think Microsoft is pretty good. I can not think of anything that I could make OneDrive better. Besides having different outcomes from these experiences with Microsoft products, I have been happy with them.

I have been using OneDrive probably ever since Microsoft came out with it. It must be at least 12 years.

I have not encountered any stability problems.

Before COVID I think that Microsoft technical support was great, but it just seems that after COVID I had several incidents that had pretty poor outcomes. While trying to resolve those issues, I could not get through to them. I was on hold a lot. They would not take a voice call, and you even had to hold on for a chat for a long time. One day I was holding for four hours on a chat.

I have not bothered contacting them again since COVID hit and the support started being unresponsive. I do not know if they have figured out how to handle their support by now or what, but it has not been a good experience recently. Normally, before COVID they were really good. You could chat with them. They were right there for online help, or you could call them. I think they are still not taking calls, but I have not checked.

The setup is not too hard and once it is done you can access it almost anywhere. I like that if I am traveling and I am at another location I still have centralized access to everything. For example, if I am at my daughter's place and she has a desktop and I need to access something really fast, I can just go login on her computer, making sure I remove all traces of logging in.

OneDrive is included with Microsoft 365 and it includes Word. So it is just the basic four programs in the Microsoft suite and then you also get OneDrive. It is just included as a part of the package that you get.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give people considering OneDrive starts with the fact that everybody can use it. If you are a company and you use it in conjunction with teams, it is a great way to share files. It is a good thing to have if I am away from my desktop and in a hotel where I would not want to bring all that data with me. If I am working on a project I can just log on and locate a shared file by going on OneDrive and accessing the latest version of a project.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Microsoft OneDrive as an eight or nine out of ten. I really could not say ten because I do have that little history of issues. I am going to say eight-of-ten because to me to even get a nine it has to be so intuitive anybody could work with it and not experience problems. I think I can only do what I can do because I am an experienced user. If I was the new user in a company I might feel a bit more lost just being thrown into using it.

Microsoft Azure
More Microsoft OneDrive reviews from users
...who work at a Energy/Utilities Company
...who compared it with Dropbox
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft OneDrive. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.