Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse Review

It has inherent Hadoop integration that can refer HDFS by means of external tables, but there's a bottleneck if there are many partitions in the baseline table.

Valuable Features

The bulk data-load feature with fast response is one of the most intriguing features. In addition, clustered column store index boosts OLAP query performance significantly.

Improvements to My Organization

For large scale big data analytics, we have been using this product for two years. It has inherent Hadoop integration that can refer HDFS by means of external tables. Thus, large scale historic data retention for business function improvement is quite easy, thus boosting customer confidence.

Room for Improvement

It supports partitioning to improve query performance. However, this has a bottleneck if there are many partitions in the baseline table and the underlying query performance degrades significantly.

Use of Solution

I've used it for two years.

We have not faced any major issues with this product.

Unlike other MPPs, such as Netezza, this requires excellent expertise in SQL to reap the benefits of using it.

7/10

7/10

I have used Netezza as an MPP solution for around eight years, and from my personal experience, I believe Netezza has an edge over PDW due to user friendliness.

The initial setup was straightforward as it is an appliance. The Microsoft support team work closely with us. We always do it in collaboration with the vendor team and thus ensure we get the best out of our investment. The project team is involved during the initial setup process, and thus optimal installation is ensured.

Implementation Team

We always do it in collaboration with the vendor team, and thus ensure we get the best out of our investment.

ROI

We are happy with the ROI. There is significant scope for improvement in this area.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Pricing and licensing is competitive.

Other Solutions Considered

Any potential customer should explore PDW along with other MPP solutions before making a final decision on defining their OLAP analytics. We evaluated Teradata, as we had more expertise in SQL server, we were intrigued by PDW, and finally it emerged as the winner.

Other Advice

This is a great product for big data analytics as it can challenge other MPPs quite well.

1 visitor found this review helpful