Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse Review

Good performance and usability with a simple interface

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for keeping track of sales, goods, times of shipping, and other information. It is used for our KPIs.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution helps the higher levels of the organization because they have better visibility of the whole company. This helps with decision making in terms of what should be improved or implemented.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the performance and usability.

Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse is simple to use, and the user interface is intuitive.

What needs improvement?

More tools to help designers should be included.

I have been using this solution for about two years.

This is a stable solution. Once your data is stable, the data warehouse is stable too. If the structure of the data changes then you can't change the warehouse to add or delete fields or columns.

Scalability depends on how you design the warehouse. It can be scalable, but it depends on how much data you have to put into it.

We have about six hundred users.

Unfortunately, we are in a country that has a limitation that means we cannot contact Microsoft directly. Most of the time we use Google and I can help myself to solve problems.

Prior to Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse, we used a standard relational SQL database. We switched because of the performance and because the data and KPI changed. It would be difficult to use a relational database. We switched to a data warehouse solution because it was acceptable.

The initial installation and setup were easy and we did not have any issues. The deployment was completed within hours.

We deployed using our in-house people.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to design the databases as well as they can because it is difficult to make changes in the future. It is also important to have a time field in your data in case you want to use it in the future as a reference.

This is a good solution but all software can be improved and made better.