Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse Review

Good reporting functionality for historical and real-time data, but the initial setup is complex

What is our primary use case?

I am using the Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse for working with information services and datasets, creating reports. It is used primarily for our historical data, but we do some in real-time also. We can receive data weekly, nightly, or even hourly.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is performance. It reduces the time it takes to process data.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup of this solution is complex and can be improved.

Sometimes you need to re-run the reports because they don't work.

The reporting for certain types of data needs to be improved.

I have been working with these kinds of services for the past five to ten years.

The stability depends on your data and whether it is null. If the data is set up properly then it will be more stable.

It is definitely scalable. We have more than 220 users in multiple cities. Most of the people, perhaps 70%, are information technology users. The remaining 30% are business analysts who are concerned only with reports.

We do plan on increasing our usage. We recently converted all of our Tableau data, and now we are working on permissions and security.

The technical support from Microsoft is good.

The initial setup is definitely complex.

We are not always aware of where the data comes from because it is distributed. Sometimes the data is fine and sometimes it needs to be set up. Once it is configured then it runs fine in parallel.

The length of time for deployment depends on the size of the data and whether we were also implementing a data warehouse or a data mart. When I was implementing this solution and copying data, it took between six and eight months. That is end-to-end with everything finished.

If it is a small data mart then it may only take a month.

Our in-house team, including our DBA, handled the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse is to be aware of how big the data is. You have to be sure of how to secure and take care of the data. You have to think about scalability.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse reviews from users