Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse Review

A good interface and BI functionality, but scalability is an area that needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and I assist in implementing this solution for our clients.

The projects that we are working on right now are related to finance, banking, and government.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the business intelligence (BI) part of it. BI includes decision trees and similar functionality. This happens post-building of the data warehouse when you start using the analysis features.

The user interface is definitely good.

What needs improvement?

This solution would be improved with an option for in-memory data analysis.

Scalability can be improved because there are other tools that perform better with very large datasets.

We have been working with Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse for more than five years.

This is a stable solution and we haven't had any issues. Even if we encounter issues, there is a lot of help available. If issues are identified then we will have a quick turnaround time for fixing them.

There are some tools that are more scalable than this one, and the performance is better as well. This is an area that could use improvement, especially if you have a huge set of data.

We have about 50 analysts and another 30 or 40 regular users who work with this solution every day.

We have been in contact with technical support in India and we are satisfied with them.

We are using Pentaho Data Warehouse in addition to this solution. We select which one is implemented depending on the customer's request and what they want to do.

The initial setup is straightforward. There is a lot of help available to assist with each step, so it's pretty easy.

The deployment took longer than expected because of continuous improvement and upgrades that were needed for the projects. Once we started and got a handle on how this solution could benefit our projects, we had to incorporate those new ideas. In total, it took between one and a half and two years to deploy.

We implemented this solution with our in-house team.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that has good performance and I recommend it. The support from Microsoft is also another thing that makes the Parallel Data Warehouse a good option.

The biggest lesson that we have learned from using this solution is that customers are most interested in a quick project turnaround time, which is something that Parallel Data Warehouse provides.

This is a good solution but there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Microsoft Parallel Data Warehouse reviews from users