Microsoft Power Automate Review

Offers and easy setup and is stable and scalable

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution to not only automate processes but also to be an intermediary or a glue among the applications of Azure in the Microsoft universe.

What is most valuable?

The Outlook on the SQL server has been extremely valuable for us.

The solution is scalable.

The product is very stable.

For the most part, the initial setup is quick.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more integration with the desktop application, and on-premise server as well as the SQL database. That would be really nice.

It would be great if you could integrate outside of Microsoft environments.

The initial setup can be a bit tricky if it is a complex environment.

The product needs a clear integration between the UI recorder and the steps that you do and the codes and the qualification that you do on the RPA there.

I've used the solution for about three years. I used it even before it was called Power Automate. It's been a while at this point.

I have very high regard for the stability of this product. There are no surprises. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's reliable in terms of performance.

The scalability is good. Basically, I deploy it on one desktop, on a system that consists of only one single desktop computer, and then deploy it on a server. That handles a lot of systems and processes at the same time, without any problem, and without having to invest in any additional resource or any additional time.

Typically our clients are medium to large organizations.

We don't really deal with technical support. We mostly provide documentation to the client and they can deal with technical support if they need to.

However, we barely have any problems as the solution is very intuitive.

I didn't find the initial setup exactly complex. It was more of a common characteristic of Microsoft products. It is easy to learn. As you learn the complexity of the requirements, there seems to be a little bit uphill to climb.

The length of time it takes to deploy the solution varies. It mostly depends on the complexity of the requirements. If you have a simple implementation that's a matter of no more than one or two days. On the other hand, if you have a complex implementation, you have to invest about two weeks to two and a half weeks to have everything on production.

In terms of the number of people you need for the process, that varies too. For just a simple solution, you could have one solo person that is in charge of the consulting and the implementation of the solution. If you have a complex problem, you have to have a person that is the consultant, a person that is building the solution, and then a person that is making the implementation, and a person who is providing maintenance. You can have a team of about four people if there is a complex deployment.

We are an implementor and consultant. We assist clients in setting up the solution in their organizations.

We did not first evaluate any other options before choosing Microsoft's product.

The main competitors would be UiPath or Automation ANywhere, for the most part. The main difference is likely the pricing. There are other differences as well.

If you want to Automation Anywhere, there's not exactly a good availability for a medium-sized business. For example, Automation Anywhere has something called Community Edition, but it is a bit too small. It's better for smaller organizations. Then, from that, they make a big quantum jump to the Enterprise Edition. That is a little bit expensive. There's no middle ground.

The same thing happened for example, with Blue Prism. It's a little bit expensive.

UiPath is a little bit more spacious than Power Automate. I still trust that Power Automate is going to close the gap. It works with WinAutomation and as soon as they get all the features and all these technical aspects of the hardware, it is going to create a stronger Power Automate. Soon Power Automate will be able to reach all business segments, and, at that point, it will be very powerful.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure of which version of the solution it is. It's in the cloud and therefore constantly updated.

I'm a consultant.

I would advise, in general, around any tool, just be clear with the requirements. No matter what sophisticated tool you were using, if you're not clear about data, then the software is not going to work.

I have customers where we have to make a data governance program or project first before we implement it. You have to be clear with all your data, with all the possible information that's part of your data path. Be clear about how efficient your processes are before you enter into an RPA or process automation project. This is the main thing.

As for the product itself, it is easy to use. You're not going to have any surprises.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been happy with the product overall.

Microsoft Azure
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementer
More Microsoft Power Automate reviews from users
...who work at a Manufacturing Company
...who compared it with UiPath
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Power Automate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.