Microsoft PowerApps Review

Great for making apps quickly, and quick to get started, but an immature product

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to create apps for business users which navigates them from within our platforms.

What is most valuable?

There are lots of good videos on Youtube that are available to help users train themselves on the product and understand its intricacies. They have a workshop that allows you to learn the product in a day.

As a business person, I design a lot of screens. The solution really resonates with me. Their design is amazing.

You are able to create a screen app within a day once you get the hang of everything.

There are great templates on offer that make creating apps easy. They have galleries that help you pick predefined templates. You can also standardize these. It's low effort and low code. However, if you want to code more and have code validation or mobile, you can do that as well.

They have a web version of the solution, as well as a version for tablets.

What needs improvement?

The solution is pretty difficult to understand. You need to educate yourself on the product in order to be able to effectively use it.

The solution needs a bit more refinement in general.

It's still a new product. There's a lot of improvements that can be made from a useability perspective.

There needs to be better guides and documentation available for new users in order to help them properly understand the product and how to use it.

I started using the solution after Power Automate, and therefore I started learning more about Power Apps probably last year in August. I would estimate I started on it in or around July and August of last year.

The solution is definitely stable. I haven't had any issues with it in that regard. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's good.

Scalability-wise, I haven't put any complexity behind my apps yet. I haven't really experimented with scaling them up. From what I can see on the tutorial videos I've found, it seems to be possible. However, I have not directly attempted to scale anything so far. I couldn't speak from personal experience on the matter. I'd love for it to be possible.

I do plan to increase usage in the future. There are a few people who have seen my apps who have definitely reached out to me and said, "Oh, this is great." I help them understand how you can use Power Apps themselves as not many people knew about the product before they saw my work.

More and more people are using it within the organization. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, however. I still have not set up any session for Power Apps for training. I've done sessions for Power Automate, Excel, Word, and SharePoint. There just needs to be more training for awareness. This is a relatively new product. Maybe that's why it doesn't yet have the visibility.

I don't really use technical support at all. All my questions when I reached out to technical support, were directing me to Power Apps In a Day - the training session. I did that and they'd answer all my questions. I did have a few questions based on a few functionalities, which I went on the Microsoft site to find answers to. I basically found two blogs. I understood that those functionalities are not yet there. I put down my feedback in terms of it should be there or not. Then that was it.

I don't really directly communicate with Microsoft technical support. You need to go out and find your own answers online.

We did not previously use a different solution.

There isn't an implementation process for the product. It is on the cloud. Everything is pretty automatic. In that sense, it's rather straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. It's on the user accounts. I just go ahead and start creating my app from there.

I'm not sure of the cost of the solution. That's not an aspect of the solution I handle.

What other advice do I have?

I am using the latest version of the solution. I'm unsure of the exact version number.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

In general, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. We've mostly been satisfied with the product, however, it is still immature and needs time for tweaks and advancements.

More Microsoft PowerApps reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with OutSystems
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft PowerApps. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.