Microsoft Project Review

Exceptional for waterfall methodologies, reliable, but better integration needed

What is our primary use case?

We used the solution for the waterfall framework model for management.

What is most valuable?

In my experience, this solution is one of the best for the waterfall management model. You are able to analyze, allocate tasks easily, chart, use different kinds of graphs, and the atmosphere is something similar to other Microsoft Office products. Having similarity to Office is the reason why it is easy to use. The majority of people already know how to use those pieces of software.

There are plenty of features in this solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more flexible when it comes to integration.

They added the Agile Framework also to their solution. I think Agile does not work with this kind of spreadsheet platform. Mainly for Agile, it needs something such as Kanban or Scrum board. There is also a need for a tool for brainstorming on a whiteboard online but this solution does not have this feature.

If the solution wants to match the Agile Framework, it would be better to add something similar to Asana, Kanban or Scrum board. This way companies and teams can easily create a sprint and follow up. It will be easier for the Scrum Master coach to facilitate communication between groups and teams. If they let people choose their Agile methodology, such as Jira, it would be better.

I have been using the solution for one year.

I had no problems using the solution, it operated fine.

Since the solution does not have some features to better use other methodologies it is limited. We have approximately 100 employees using the solution.

There are many communities for Microsoft products. I was not in contact with customer support.

You cannot easily do brainstorming in this solution. This is why we have evaluated other solutions and are currently considering a DevOps solution. When companies that want to transform to agility or Agile Frameworks consider going to some tools similar to Asana as a Kanban or Scrum board and for Agile software development, they might go with Microsoft Azure. This solution has been created for the Waterfall framework, and even if Microsoft added some features to use for Agile Framework it will not work because it has not been created for Agile frameworks specifically as Scrum or Kanban has.

The installation for doing the Waterfall methodology is easy. You do not need a lot of training, but if you want to do advance operations, such as Excel, you need to be trained. There are many pieces of training online on platforms such as YouTube and Udemy, people can easily learn. You do not need a special course or to have a certificate.

Our project manager does most of the implementation.

I do not remember the exact cost we paid but usually, they charge per user per month. The price is not that important for enterprise, they prefer to have something useful and works. If it makes your team more productive, then the price does not matter so much.

What other advice do I have?

When choosing this solution understand that is it best for those who want to stay with the Waterfall framework. First-time businesses in some industries such as construction, Waterfall is a better choice. It depends on the industry, but the majority of industries and companies are moving to Agile methodology.

I rate Microsoft Project a six out of ten.

More Microsoft Project reviews from users
...who compared it with Jira
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Project. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.