Microsoft Project Review

Keeps everybody organized, provides little time savers, and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

I mostly use it for big projects and rolling out solutions. I have used it for rolling out a new POS system, clientele programs, and clientele loyalty. I have also used it for process changes that impact multiple departments, and there are key players in it to keep everybody on track. Once we move forward with a new forecasting tool, I would use it for that.

Over the last couple of years, it has been more of the newer version with it. I'm really basic with it because of the end-users. It means that I use it for all the pieces on certain things, but when it comes to the output, it is pretty basic for the end-users. It is an easy read for the end-users.

How has it helped my organization?

It did keep everybody organized. Everything was outlined, and everyone knew the expectations. It was a good check and balance for everyone to make sure that we weren't missing anything. When the project ends and you do the takeaway, it is like, "Okay. Next time, we got to make sure that we add XYZ to the plan for the scope of the plan." We make sure it is a good takeaway lesson in terms of what we missed.

What is most valuable?

It can auto-connect based on the dates, which makes it easy. It auto-assigns people, and when you're starting to type in, it auto-fills and populates for you, which is great. It provides little time savers when you're typing everything out. It is just like, "Oh, I can just click from a dropdown." Those types of features are really great, and this is where it kind of gets a little bit intuitive. At the same time, if you don't like what it is doing, it is easy to change it.

I like using it just because it is easy to use. It is pretty user-friendly and easy to figure out. It is definitely one of the better ones out there.

What needs improvement?

It should be easier to break things. Breaking up the visualization from the task is sometimes a little bit tricky to do. You can do it, but it takes a minute. It's not an easy function to do. The way you have to format it and stuff like that takes a minute.

I have been using this solution on and off for the last five years.

It is good.

Its scalability is good and up there. It is not extensively used in our organization. We're a small organization, and currently, only two people are using it. We don't have any plans to increase its usage.

At my past organizations, there were multiple people who used it. There were different types of users who used it, but it was always in the IT world. The IT users had different backgrounds. So, it was leveraged within each department, but with an IT-focused person as a relationship manager.

I have not had any encounters, but overall, my interaction with Microsoft has been great. Whenever I've talked to anybody or inquired about something further, it has always been positive.

I've used Gantt Chart before, but I don't like it. I'd rather do it in Excel. I just don't like the format and layout of it. It comes down to personal preference on some of that stuff. With my background and how I came about to even become a project manager, it makes more sense to do it in Excel than in some of the other ways.

I wasn't around, but it would have been pretty straightforward for the person who did it.

It probably would have been an in-house job. I know that's how it was with the old one. They might have had someone to help, but it mostly would have been done in-house.

What other advice do I have?

You have to find the right tool that helps make it easy and streamlined for you to manage. You just need to find the right platform. I would advise others to get out there and play with all of them and then find the right one. Do tests with them, and then figure it out. That works best.

I would rate Microsoft Project an eight out of 10.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
More Microsoft Project reviews from users
...who compared it with Jira
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Project. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
534,057 professionals have used our research since 2012.